Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Not from Philly Cheesesteak

.



I'm from Northwestern Pennsylvania. Within driving distance from Pittsburgh.

Ask anyone from PA, and they'll tell you the state should be divided in two, down the middle.

Because the West and the East are so very different.

The main cities for comparison are Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.

The Burgh is very much a blue-collar, working-man's town; Philly (the former capitol of the US) is a bit more...high falutin'.

While I can't really think of too many foods, nationally known, that would spotlight Pittsburgh (pierogies aren't necessarily native, although there is Iron City Beer!), everyone's heard of the Philly Cheese Steak.

Even when I was still a carnivore, I didn't really consume much beef. It just wasn't my thing...I preferred chicken and turkey.

And the few times I did eat a cheese steak, it was courtesy of Steak'ums! Not exactly authentic.

But Matt...Matt likes a good cheesesteak.

It's not the sort of thing we make. For starters, there weren't any meat substitutes out there for sliced beef.

But last week, while shopping, Matt and I noticed something new in the freezer section, where all the 'fake foods' are kept.

Morningstar Farms now has two new ' Meal Starters'; a 'chicken' strip, and a 'steak' strip.

Surprised, we figured it was worth a try. And Matt's had a chunk of sirloin kicking around in the freezer, so cheesesteaks suddenly appeared on our menu.

Finely sliced onions are cooked down till soft. Add to this your thinly sliced beef (or 'steak' strips); cook until done. Toss in some (I'm kind of embarrassed here) Velveeta (!) chunks; continue cooking until cheese is melted.
Fill a good roll with the meat and cheese.

Matt was very happy to have it, and we were both impressed with the flavor and quality of the 'steak' strips. Good texture, and the 'meat' comes already seasoned; very nice.

To go with, it seemed only appropriate that we fry up some potatoes, right?

Thanks to the mandoline, we had nice, crunchy fries (soaked in an ice bath for a while first). That quick blast from the boiler kept them crisp.

A fun, filling meal...

Looks like those new Meal Starters may open up some new doors for us.


Don't forget; Blog Party#4: The Gang's All Here: The Holiday Edition is coming soon! There's no such thing as a too early submisssion! Entries can be left in link format here, in the comments, or you may email them to me at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com.
Hope to see you there!

8 Thoughts for food:

At 12:21 AM, Blogger Kai said...

Ahh, this had me pining for a good steak sandwich with cheese sauce dripping on my arms. Gotta get some lunch right now!

 
At 1:10 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hope you find something to hit the spot...

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger sylvie1950 said...

I live on the west coast but I always look forward to visiting Philadelphia and getting cheesesteak.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

amatuer...they're not difficult to make! Give in to your cravings...!!!!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

sylvie; I know people who make stops in the Philly area just to get cheesesteaks...

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Laura said...

i worked in philly for years, and lived close enough to make the occasional run for cheesesteaks

(cheese whiz wit, for me)

but the whole Pats vs. Gino's things got old and it got so the only way I could deal with all that grease was to have plenty of alcohol before and after to cut it *grin*

besides, I found a place near my hometown and not far from where I live not that makes them the way I like them -- steak, fried onion, tomato, lettuce, dill, light mayo and lots of provolone.

...so good in fact, I had a friend have me bring one to him in Texas when I visited.


still the veggie cheesesteak is a tempting prospect....

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

There's a good chance Matt will be in Philly next month for work...first thing I said "you can get a cheesesteak!"

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Lillie said...

Being from Philly and having gone to college in Pittsburgh, I know and appreciate the difference in our two main cities, especially in food. I have a cheesesteak recipe on my food blog, but I had to include the Steak'ums. Thanks for the tip on the meat strips. I will look for them.

We were talking about the famous Pgh. sandwich at work today, but I could not remember the name, or what was in it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker