Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, April 24, 2006

A Return to Normalcy

.



Home improvement projects have been completed (for now), guests have come and gone, Easter is done, as are a trio of food events.

What does that mean? Daily posts, about actual food, are back!

As I mentioned in a recent meme, I've gotten on this 'must make something new every single day' kick. I almost never revisit old favorites. But we really do have some 'that's my favorite!' recipes.

One is Persian Rice; rice cooked with dill and pistachios. It's positively divine, and we'll often make it for company.

I don't think I'd made this since last summer, so when Matt suggested we have it, how could I refuse him?

Rice is parboiled in salted water, then drained. In that same pot, melt a decent amount of butter, then spoon some rice on top. Follow this with alternating layers of dill, rice, and pistachios; finishing with a mound of rice. Poke holes, to the bottom of the pan, with a wooden spoon, cover with a tea towel, and then the lid, and let cook, on a rather low setting, for just over half an hour.

You know it's done when you poke through to the bottom, and hear a 'crunch'; that means it's ready.

Traditionally, you would serve the entire pot of rice on a platter or in a large bowl, and from the bottom you will get some crunchy bits. That is often reserved for the guest of honor, and is quite a treat.

I don't know about all of that; we just think it's fabulous!

Matt had some lamb with his rice: ground lamb mixed with some spices (I wasn't there at the time, so I'm not sure what he used besides cumin), rolled into balls and cooked till 'done'; done can be so subjective, you know.

We both love this rice, and for Matt, the lamb was the perfect pairing.




Tagged with: + + + +

2 Thoughts for food:

At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes the old stand-bys are the best!Looks great.

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

You're so right, Emily. Too bad I always forget about them!

And thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker