Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Just Because I Want To: Vanilla Bean Cake

.

I've felt somewhat disjointed after being sick for so long. I really wanted to make something, just so I'd have something to post!

So, I searched through my 'Recipes to Try' folder, and found one for Vanilla Bean Cake. Sounded good to me.

Odd little recipe...white chocolate and butter are melted together, vanilla bean seeds and egg yolks are mixed in, then a tiny bit of bread flour is added, as well.

Egg whites are beaten, then sweetened with sugar (I used the sugar the vanilla beans are kept in), and folded into the batter.

It all gets poured into a heavily-buttered springform pan, then the whole things sits in the refrigerator overnight.

Which all happened last night.

This morning, it went into the oven, and when it came out, looked like this.




The recipe tells you to cool the cake, and that it will "fall dramatically".

I can't say it was dramatic, but it did flatten a bit.



When it was completely cooled, I shaved curls of Callebaut over the entire thing.



Pretty, isn't it??




UPDATE: Matt had a slice after dinner. The cake has a very pudding-like texture, but is very much about the vanilla, and quite sweet.




Blog Party#14 is here, and this month we're having a Kid's Party! Fun, cute, dainty, gross, wacky and whimsical...your appetizers and drinks are for the little ones. Tell a friend! Post your dishes no later than Thursday, 21 September...early is always good...and get your links to me either by posting in the comments, or by emailing me at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. I'll post the party round-up Saturday, the 23rd, and I hope to see you there!





Tagged with: + + + +

4 Thoughts for food:

At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks delicious! what type of cake is it?

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Diddy...you came in early! I was just uploading the photos when you found this.

Should be explained now, though!

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait...was it good, did you like it, will you make it again????

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Tanna;

I don't know, I haven't tasted it, I'll have to wait for the family's verdict!

You do know that I almost never eat the stuff I make, right?

Besides, I just made it this afternoon. I'd have to wait to after dinner to try if it, I was going to to!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker