Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Blog Party#28: Fusion---The Round-Up

.



Welcome to another Blog Party! Tonight, we've misbehaved and played with our food, mixing & matching flavors, cuisines, and more. Experiments don't just happen in the lab, you know.

As always, I've done my best to set the mood, and I think this very cool series of Hot & Spicy Chutney, a fusion of Caribbean and Indian sounds, is exactly what we need for the evening.




And because I never pass up an opportunity to sing (quite literally) the praises of those three-and-four minute Saturday morning, educational, TV segments I watched as a child, I've also added Schoolhouse Rock: Science Rock, to the stereo.



(Oh sure, now you're sorry you didn't make it the party, aren't you? Well, I'm such an awesome hostess, here's a little something for you.)




I usually show you a bunch of really neat, and appropriately-themed, table or serve ware at this point.

But this time, I'm going to direct you to some of the coolest and most science-heavy kitchen gadgets I've ever seen.
I can't, personally, afford a thing, but they're fun to look at!




And now, it's time to meet the guests and start on that food!





Our first guest tonight is also a Blog Party newcomer; be sure to give Elizabeth a proper BP welcome!
She may be new, but she'll fit right in with her Mini Indian Chicken Sandwiches; mixing traditional Indian flavors with a slice of the Midwest--Colby cheese! I love it.
And Elizabeth's husband clearly loved her Mango Bellinis; her Fusion-inspired version of the classic Italian cocktail.
You did an amazing job for your very first time here; thanks so much for coming!





Our next guest is also new to the coolest virtual cocktail party around, but is sure to be a hit with all the guests tonight: say hello to Brittany!
Our pie-crazy friend went a bit mad for quince, bringing us both the Quincemopolitan (love it!), a pretty quince-infused drink, as well as a gorgeous Chinese 5-Spice Quince-Apple Pie..., a sort of Asia-NorthWest US matchmaking. Don't worry, Brittany; we can cut it into bite-sized pieces!
I'd say this is a perfect first Blog Party entry; so glad you could make it!





This appears to be the night for newbies! Here's 'lindyhopper; Lisa (hee!), joining her first party, as well.
And it's always nice to welcome another vegetarian to the house. Tonight, Lisa's brought some wonderful-looking Vegetable Stuffed Lettuce Wrapped in MiYeok. You're right, Lisa...it does look delicious; I can't wait to try it! And it's vegetarian meets Korean meets...US sensibilities?!
Wonderful innovation; so glad you could be here tonight!





Next it's...wow, another first-timer! Say 'hello' to Michelle.
Clearly, she's a gal with lots of patience, which you'll appreciate immensely when you bite into one of her itty-bitty...and super-cute!... Crab, Chili, and Coriander-stuffed Cherry Tomatoes. Wow! They look amazing, and have to taste just as good.
Next, Michelle plays around with flavors...and textures...with her Ruby Grapefruit Fizz; I think I'm first in line for this!
Great job, Michelle; thanks for joining us tonight!




Well...what do you know? This really is a night for new friends!
Our final arrival,Lizanne, is also enjoying her very first Blog Party! But she knows how to make an entrance, with her fascinating Tuna Salad-stuffed Tofu Puffs. Works for me!
And for her drink, Lizanne married Danny Devito's infamous limencello with ginger and vodka for a Lemon Ginger Martini: sounds so classy, doesn't it? Just promise me you aren't booked on the View any time soon?
Thank you so much for being here tonight!


I guess it's my turn...so here you go:





It's no great surprise that I decided to fuss with my sushi. I can't claim the idea as my own; I confess I got the idea from an episode of Gilmore Girls (sushi a la Sookie?). But I loved it: who says sushi has to be fish or veggies?

So, we made our favorite chipotle-spiced fried chicken, sliced it up, and rolled into maki. And not so shockingly, it worked.

Next, Chinese food sushi! It seemed a no-brainer. Sweet & sour chicken (or Veat, as always); the protein source of choice, water chestnuts, pineapple and cashews in a yummy sauce, again, rolled up in rice and seaweed. Of course, it worked!

But I had to keep going. Dessert sushi. Red vines and watermelon Pop Rocks. I don't joke about Pop Rocks. Kind of weird, but still neat.

And finally, Butterfinger nigiri. Matt's idea. He felt they were the perfect size and shape.

Next, Mini Indian-stuffed French Crepes. Traditional French crepes, about half the normal size, filled with either dal bukhara or paneer makhni. Not exactly dosas, and while a bit messy, really good.

Finally, a Masala Cider. Apple cider spiced with the usual Indian ingredients. Sort of New England/Indian fusion drink. Very tasty.

Alright...I think that's everyone. All new guests, new dishes and hopefully...new friends.
So now we eat, dance and talk.

A gigantic thank you to all tonight's guests, and I hope to see you all (and your friends!) at the very decadent party next month! Curious? Check back 1 December for all the details.




Tagged with: + + + + + + + + + +

4 Thoughts for food:

At 3:23 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Everything looks awesome. Thanks for posting mine even though I broke the rules and didn't make a drink. ;)

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Wow - such inventiveness!! Apologies for (yet again!) not joining in, but this NaBloPoMo is sucking my energy dry and doing my head in...

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

's Ok, Lisa!

Next time, I know you'll bring some amazing beverage to go with your appetizers!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jeanne, I've been so busy, I'm lucky that I made it to the party!!!

New theme coming up this weekend...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker