Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, March 28, 2008

Retro Recipe Challenge #11: Your Mother Should Know

.



Yes, I really am insane.

Because I've agreed to take on hosting duties for another blog event!

Seriously, though, I was flattered when Laura Rebecca asked if I'd be interested in taking a turn.

It's an event I really enjoy, but often lose track of. I figured I'd be less likely to miss it if I were hosting, right?

So, the Retro Recipe Challenge is about making something from a recipe from a certain time period. There's usually a 'between this and that' year guideline, or a 'before this' to follow.

For my turn at the helm, I'm picking a rather subjective theme. For the eleventh Retro Recipe Challenge, we're choosing & making Your Mother Should Know: Recipes That Were Popular Before Your Mother Was Born.

So, any recipe from any year before your mother was born...that's it!

It can be a drink, bread, dessert, starter, soup, main course...whatever you want. As long as it's from a published source prior to your mother's year of birth, it's good.

So, find a recipe from before your mom was born (some may have to do some research, as there are women who 'mysteriously' never age past their thirties), make it, photograph & post, and get it to me by Saturday, 26 April.
You can leave a comment on any post, or send the URL to thehappysorceress at gmail dot com.

Of course, if you have any questions, please ask.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!




Tagged with: + + +

16 Thoughts for food:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Katrina said...

I've come to your site via silvermoon's and I love the idea of this. But I have to ask where would I be able to find out what food was popular in the 1930's? Any idea of a good site?

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Katrina...welcome!

One easy way is to simply look at the copyright date in any cookbooks you or your family might own. I've got some going back as far as 1917.

Fortunately, Gourmet's new website now lists every recipe they've ever published, and that goes back over sixty years.

Laura Rebecca, if I remember correctly, also has some 'old' recipe sites listed, as well.

I hope that helps!

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Rachel Rubin said...

I just found a really neat recipe. Will be fun to make but more interesting to see what it ends up tasting like! Can't wait to try it out.

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Gabi said...

Where do you get the energy?!? :)
I bow before your greatness!
I'll be there.
xoxo

 
At 8:58 AM, Blogger Laura Rebecca said...

Awesome! I can't wait to see what people cook up!

 
At 3:44 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Rachel...that is half the fun, admittedly. I try my best not to gag at the sight of what once passed as 'good company' food!

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Gabi...it's not energy, it's insanity!!!

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Laura Rebecca...me, too!

 
At 11:11 AM, Blogger Lidian said...

Yay for the RRC! I love this sort of thing...My mother was born in 1924 so I will be looking in my really old cookbooks -

I have fun with retro stuff just about every day over at my blog

http://kitchenretro.wordpress.com

I would love for any retro recipe fans to come on over and visit - I promise not to serve any weird jello molds, just joke about them! :)

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Laura...are we soul sisters, or what?

I don't make as many of the old recipes as you do, but oh my...do I have them!

Not just books, of course, but wonderful old cooking magazines, and pamphlets from stores and companies; I can spend days looking at them.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger Laura Paterson said...

I LOVE this idea!

(Though I do think you are quite mad ;)

Count me in!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Yay, Kittie (says the crazy lady); looking forward to seeing you there!

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Hi there!
I saw this challenge on the Daring Bakers blog, and had to give it a go! I just blogged about my retro recipe experience, I hope you can take a peek! Thanks for the challenge! :)
http://thebakingbeauties.blogspot.com/2008/04/retro-recipe-aunt-rachels-apple-pudding.html

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Jeanine!

Love it; those old, old books are such treasures, aren't they?

And you're the first entry, too!

 
At 3:43 PM, Blogger Jeanine - The Baking Beauties said...

Thanks, Stephanie! I'm glad that I could participate. :)
After doing this, my Mom tells me she has another 3 old cookbooks, all the same era as this one. I may have to dig into some of those oldies (but goodies??) yet too!
Thanks again for hosting!

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jeanine; Me too!

Oh, what a lucky find. There's no end of fun to be found in books like that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker