Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Makes Your Hands Look Really Tiny

.



Today is Alex's (sub) teacher's birthday. Naturally, there had to be cake.

Chocolate Fudge Truffle cake, to be precise. Very rich, with very little in the way of dry ingredients. Brown sugar in large quantities, yes, Flour, not so much.

A chocolate frosting to top it off, and viola! A giant cupcake.




I'm most proud of the bottom, though. I didn't want to frost it, as that would make it impossible to transport. Instead, I poured heated candy melts over the turned-over bottom half, and let it dry.

The result was a lovely, thin, coating that looked not unlike a paper cupcake liner!


(and yes, it really is big-ish; about seven cups of batter to make that)


Still working on BBM; this whole not-sleeping thing has been slowing me down. That, and staring at the details for 117 people!

Patience, my friends...very soon. Promise.

16 Thoughts for food:

At 7:28 PM, Blogger Melody said...

Whoa! I bow to the master of creativity. What a great idea for the bottom. So you did that first and let it dry? Then you can frost the rest. Totally impressive.

 
At 9:13 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

You creative genius you - I would never have thought of that!! You should have included a pic of the comedy small hands to give us a sense of scale ;-)

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Alejandra Ramos said...

This is AWESOME!! You should put a penny or an ipod or something near it for size comparison. Well, well done!

 
At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what an awesome cake! Very cool.

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

How cool--until you said something I thought it was a paper liner. They look and sound delicious!

 
At 12:38 AM, Blogger NKP said...

Hooray for giant cupcakes. The teacher must have been thrilled!

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Your cupcake cake is fabulous! What did you do for the frosting part of the cupcake?

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Aw, shucks; thanks Melody!

Yep; poured/spread it on (the sides needed a bit of coaxing), and when no chocolate showed through, I gave the rack/sheet a few shakes to even it all out. Worked great. Let it dry for an hour or so...and voila!

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

you know Jeanne, if I'd gotten ANY sleep at all, I am fairly sure I'd have placed a cupcake liner or something next to it. But, alas...

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Alejandra!

Matt said it would have been cool if I'd gotten Alex to place his hands on either side of the cake!

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Mrs. L! I'd wanted that cupcake pan for ages, finally got it, then had to wait for the right time to use it!

 
At 1:33 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Deb!

It's actually just one big-ish cake. Here, take a look at this.

 
At 1:34 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Natashya; I have No idea. Never heard from her...(sniffs)

 
At 1:36 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Katie!

it was a chocolate frosting from the original cake recipe. It's very stiff, so stiff that when I did't quite get some in a place I wanted? I could Move it with my fingers. Just pick it up and put it where it was supposed to be...


And the top could have been better, but I just could NOT find my giant, open-hole, tip.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Laura Paterson said...

Wow! Amazing - I just want to climb into it ;)

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Kittie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker