Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, September 06, 2004

Pretty Nice for a Jerk

.

Oh, I know. It's been ages. But I've been positively exhausted, and actively avoiding anything cooking-related.

But, new week, time to get back to normal.

Matt's always liked jerk seasoning. I've never tasted it.

I found a recipe that looked interesting, so I showed it to him. His response was something along the lines of it looked good enough to eat on paper.

Finally got around to making it last night (and by making it, I mean Matt did it!).

Although I was expecting a completely different flavor (not sure why, but thought it would be...darker and smokier), it was really nice.

Matt really liked it, even though with the avocado and tortilla, he felt it had more of a Mexican presentation, rather than Caribbean.

He was also surprised not to find ginger in the ingredient list...not that we missed it. There's plenty of flavor as is.

The recipe calls for a Scotch bonnet...we each ended up with a piece (though thankfully, not a big piece); in the future, the pepper will be pulverized before going in!

Also, Matt played with the flavor of the rice, adding some salsa and a chile sauce (made by my FIL). Lovely flavor.

I really enjoyed it...it wasn't too spicy (I don't have a particularly high threshold for 'hot'), but it did have good flavor. The rice, beans and avocado just made it better.


Tortilla with Jerk Chicken






Recipe courtesy Blue Heaven
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings

2 chicken breasts, sliced lengthwise into "fingers"
2 cups jerk marinade, recipe follows
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups rice, cooked
2 cups cooked black beans
4 fresh flour tortillas, warmed
1 cup shredded white cheddar
2 cup shredded romaine
4 dollops sour cream
4 large spoonfuls salsa
1 avocado, sliced
8 jalapeno slices

Preheat a broiler.

In a bowl, marinate chicken in jerk marinade for 4 to 5 hours, in the refrigerator. Saute chicken in oil, over high heat, until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Place 1/4 of the rice and beans on each tortilla. Top with cooked chicken and the cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted. Top with shredded lettuce, sour cream, salsa, avocado, and jalapenos.

Jerk Chicken Marinade:
1 1/2 tablespoons ground allspice
1 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground sage
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons salt
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 1/3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons canola oil
6 tablespoons soy sauce
1 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 small scotch bonnet pepper, finely diced
3/4 white onion, chopped
1/3 cup chopped green onion
3/4 tablespoon fresh chopped garlic

Mix all ingredients together. Refrigerate.

3 Thoughts for food:

At 10:58 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

We're working on it. Matt remembered that we have storage through our Comcast account, so hopefully, there will be pictures in the future.

Be sure to check out the new photos of Alex on my other blog!

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I've been looking for good recipes. I'm excited to see Jerk chicken. I love the whole jerk flavor. It makes me live vicariously through the Caribbean. (sp?)

 
At 11:18 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

You need recipes/ You've found the right place! I am always happy to play matchmaker with people and their food...if you need anything, use the address on the right!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker