Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Chicken and rice

.

Friday's dinner: Italian Chicken Salad in Lettuce Cups, and Persian Rice with Pistachios and Dill.

This is one of my favorite side dishes. I've lost track of how many times I've made it over the last four years!

Start with lots, and lots of dill.



This is probably the freshest dill I've ever used in my life, having come right from the backyard garden. Mmmm...

Parboil rice, drain. Melt butter in bottom of pan, add rice, alternately layering with chopped pistachios and dill.

(forgive the photo; we have the darndest time taking photos of white food)



The crunchy bits from the bottom are prized, reportedly. All I know is, they're good.

And a light chicken salad, in a red vinaigrette dressing; served in cups of lettuce.



I made a few changes to the recipe.

First, I didn't use a store-cooked chicken...I just cooked them at home. I also 'cheated' and used jarred roasted red peppers, instead of cranking up my oven to roast my own.

I also cut the recipe down, as it served 12! There are only three of us, you know...

The rice was wonderful, which was to be expected. The chicken salad was flavorful, without weighing us down with a lot of mayo. Nice dinner.

5 Thoughts for food:

At 8:53 PM, Blogger Cate said...

I feel your pain with the white-food-picture-taking problem. I had the darnedest time taking picture of vanilla ice cream. Rice sounds intriguing - e-mail me the recipe?

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Laura said...

funny, I have some chicken in the oven cooking right now to make chicken salad this afternoon. what's in the vineagrette and where do yummy roasted red peppers come in.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sweetnicks and Laura: the recipes can be found at the beginning of the post. The names of the recipes are actually links to them.

You can buy jars of roasted red peppers in most grocery stores these days.

 
At 6:15 PM, Blogger Laura said...

see it really was too early for me to even get sentence sytax correct! very cool on the link, I didn't realize that. ( I know on the peppers *grin* that sentence just got away from me -- that and my speech patterns depend so much on inflection....) off to give it a go, thanks!

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Laura; that's alright!

It's true; without hearing a person's voice, and picking up on inflections, it's so difficult to gauge someone's tone, or meaning. All the !!!!!! and ***** in the world can't compete with the human voice.

Let me know if you like the recipe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker