Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Irish food for my Irish Grammy

.



My grandmother came down for a visit last week/weekend. It had been more than a year since I'd last seen her, so I was pretty happy about the visit.

I made sure to feed her well, and on the final night of her trip, I cooked up an Irish dinner.

Boille-stuffed Chicken with Creamy Red Pepper Sauce, Mixed Beans with Bacon and Almonds, Mixed Greens with Goat Cheese Fritters, and Blue Cheese Potato Smash.

Yeah, the picture's total crap. Bad camera, bad lighting in the dining room. And while that can be romantic...not so good for photographing food!

For the chicken, I pounded flat chicken breasts, then smeared a mixture of goat cheese (we couldn't find the Irish Boille), a bit of cream cheese, some herbs and lemon juice over them. Rolled them up and cooked them in a pan till just browned...then put them in the oven until done.

When it came time to serve, a sauce of roasted red peppers and cream...and other things I've already forgotten! Still; nice sauce.

For the potatoes, we just boiled them, then poured a blue cheese sauce over them...the potatoes were really soft, so we just smashed them up a bit. Not mashed, but broken up a bit. They look terrible in the photo, because they're white. And my camera hates white foods.

The salad itself wasn't a big deal, but each bowl was topped with three goat cheese fritters (yum), some almonds and dried cranberries. No photo, because...my camera is crap.

And the beans? Just beans. No big there.

But Grammy cleaned her plate, which made me happy. I think she liked it.



Don't forget: just two more days to send in your Blog Party entries: deadline is Thursday (18 August)!

10 Thoughts for food:

At 10:14 PM, Blogger eat stuff said...

That chicken sounds great! and the goat cheese fritters. Did you use a chevre?

I am so glad you got to see your grammy, I miss seeing my Oma more often.

 
At 10:39 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Clare.

No...I can't recall the exact kind, but I know it wasn't chevre.

I missed mine, as well. She's almost eighty, so who knows how much time I'll have with her?

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Cate said...

Can you point me in the direction of the goat cheese fritters?

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sweetnicks, the recipe came from The New Irish Table, by Margaret M. Johnson. If it happens you don't already own that one...let me know and I'll email the recipe.

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Joe said...

What a meal! It sounds very good - and don't you love it when you can please family members?!

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Joe!

Matt and I have a very simple goal when we have people over for dinner: feed them to within an inch of their lives, then roll them out the door...

 
At 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was so nice to make such a great meal for your Grandma :) Everything sounds so good - especially the potatoes!!

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Jeff!

The potatoes were good...there's a decent sized container of them still in the fridge!

 
At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Left-over potatoes make for great potato pancakes!! One of my all-time favorites :p

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jeff...great minds think alike!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker