Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Blog Party...The Inaugural Round

.



It's the very first (of many, I hope) Blog Party! Time to nibble on tasty, bite-sized treats, and chill out with fabulous drinks.

Due to the somewhat short notice, this month's theme will simply be cocktail food and drinks.

What, in my opinion, qualifies as cocktail food:

  • Finger foods: anything that can be picked up, carried around and eaten with one hand...the use of the second hand as crumb catcher is perfectly acceptable

  • Dippers: vegetables, crackers, bread, chips, breadsticks and any inventive foods which are used for scooping or spreading dips and uh...spreads

  • Miniature meals: by this, I mean a normal-sized dish, cut or displayed as individual servings. A quiche, cut into small enough pieces to be eaten in less than four bites would be accepted.


Simple or fancy, for a black tie occasion or lounging on a couch in a rumpled T-shirt, come up with something to drink and something to nibble on between sips. Post it to your blog, or if you don't have one, email me a description at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com (you know what to do there...). You needn't post it in actual recipe form, unless you feel comfortable doing so.
Give me your link, via email or in the comments section. I'll make sure the wrap up is posted that Saturday (I can do this because I don't actually have anything resembling a life...). Make sure it's up two weeks from today, the third Thursday of the month...18 August.

I will post all our treats, with your pictures when possible, as well as music selections and party decorating tips (boy, have I found my calling here!).

(And for those food bloggers who are fortunate enough to plan live, face-to-face, soirees, this event may be a big help.)

30 Thoughts for food:

At 6:46 AM, Blogger boo_licious said...

Yippee, I now have a party to plan. Seriously, I have ziltch experience doing canapes and what nots for parties as all we do is just have BBQs. I guess I just have to learn! Thanks for the opportunity, Stephanie.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger eat stuff said...

I have the perfect cookbook I have been dying to have an excuse to try!
YAY!!!!

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

boo_licious...this is a great way for your to learn. Just pick something you'll like; that'll make it easier. I'm so happy you're joining in!

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Clare eats...which book are you using? I have a small section of hors d'deuvre cookbooks, but I'm always looking to add to the collection.

Thanks for taking part!

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a cool idea, except that I'm absolutely clueless about finger foods or canapes. This will be a great excuse to experiment. Will try my best to participate in your inaugural cocktail party. :)

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, Julia...I'd be so happy if you'd join in!

This will be a good place to learn more about finger foods, though...in a couple of months, you'll have lots of recipes to try! (pssst...if you get stumped, I can toss you a couple ideas)

 
At 5:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey stephanie, what an awesome idea! i've been wanting to try lex culinaria's chocolate martini, and you may have just provided a reason!!! will be joining as long as we're in town:D -- babyrambutan.blogspot.com had a small blog party a couple of months ago -- someone sent in pics of herself DANCING!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Stef...I'm always happy to provide a reason to use chocolate!

I do hope you're in town for the event!

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh great...perfect timing. I'm actually have an open house on Sunday the 13th and have planned 6 savory nibbles and 4 sweet ones...I'll definitely have something to post about!

 
At 10:21 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Alice, that's wonderful!

'They' do say timing's everything...

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

Oh this sounds great! I won't be able to post on the 18th., but hopefully it's okay if I party and blog a little early?

 
At 6:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Zarah...absolutely!

Any time between now and the 18th will work. Send me a link when you have somethng!

 
At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea! I've put up my newly invented "Cuban" canapé at http://www.stephencooks.com/2005/08/cuban_canap.html - cheers!

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Stephen! I've got the link!

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger Cate said...

Got mine up today ... early! Here you go:
http://sweetnicks.blogspot.com/2005/08/imports-are-here-part-2.html

 
At 9:02 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Sweetnicks! I like your style...

 
At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Stephanie...you got me started, now I don't know if I can stop...so, here's another one: Crab Cakes Canapés at http://www.stephencooks.com/2005/08/bettys_authenti.html
This is fun...!

 
At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It turns out I can't stop! Help me! I've just put up another one (Fresh Crab Canapé) at http://www.stephencooks.com/2005/08/crab_canap.htmlhttp://www.stephencooks.com/2005/08/crab_canap.html
...we're partying 24/7 here in Maine!

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Got it, Stephen!

I like that you're using local ingredients, too...I can't think of anything here in Knoxville worth incorporating!

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Mika said...

Hi Stephanie- a great theme you have here. My entry is up at http://greenjackfruit.blogspot.com/2005/08/first-ever-blog-party-fried-halloumi.html

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Mika! I can't wait for Saturday!

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another one! Spicy Sugared Almonds at http://www.stephencooks.com/2005/08/carries_spicy_s.html

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, I need a drink after all those snacks. Here's my Martini 101 at ://www.stephencooks.com/2005/08/martini_101.html
Whew, that was fun. I think I'm cooked!

Thanks again, Stephanie, for coming up with this great idea!

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I've added them both, Stephen...thanks so much!

 
At 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi stephanie! i noticed this a while ago, but didn't get to commetn until now - what an adorable idea! anyway, i hope you don't mind that i added it to my calendar of flog events on my sidebar - the delicious life

also, i'd love to participate! i am trying to teach myself about spanish tapas right now... but might not get to posting something until tomorrow morning, is that alright?!?!

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sarah...it's all good. I've left a comment for you, check your most recent post.

And we'll be happy to have you join in!

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jennifer, thank you for being a part of this...I've added you to the round-up!

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Rachael Narins said...

I just found your site and LOVE it. I wish I had known about this event earlier. If you read through my blog, you'd see I am OBSESSED with cocktail food, LOL! My entry for today certainly fits the bill. I will be more on the ball next time...can't wait!

Rachael

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Rachel...and welcome!

I'll be announcing the theme for the next party (since this one is proving rather popular) at the beginning of the month...I'm sure you'll have plenty of time!

And I look forward to seeing what you come up with; it's good to have another crazy bite-sized food blogger around!

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Lyn; there's been such a great response to this, we're definitely doing another...I'll announce September's theme at the beginning of the month.

There...you have plenty of time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker