Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Mommy's Little Helper

.




Alex spends a lot of time with us in the kitchen. He's already showing signs of being a foodie...heaven forbid you should open the spice cabinet and not let him smell some herbs.

He 'writes' grocery shopping lists, because he hears Matt and I planning meals all the time.

He's eaten so many foods that neither of us had either heard of till we were much older.

And of course, he likes to help.

I thought it time Alex and I made some cookies, but I'm still fairly freaked out at the thought of him getting burnt by the stove or oven. Solution? No-bakes!

A recent addition to my cookbook shelf had a recipe for 3-minute no-bake cookies. I loved no-bakes growing up...wait, who am I kidding? I still love no-bakes. So, that's what we made.

I measured all the ingredients beforehand, and put them into bowls. Alex was more than happy to dump the cocoa, milk, sugar and butter into the pot. I took over for the stirring and boiling, then tagged Alex to pour/dump, depending on who you ask, the oats into the mix.
I stirred everything up, and then we took turns putting spoonfuls of chocolatey goodness on wax paper.

He got a big kick out of it, and did a pretty good job, too...he even managed to snack while working.





Unfortunately, this particular recipe for no-bakes just wasn't as good as I'd expected. Which is actually a good thing...I'm not going to eat any!

(The cast iron skillet in the background is serving as a weight for a double batch of tomago, since we were having sushi later that night.)

7 Thoughts for food:

At 1:09 AM, Blogger Niki said...

That is an extremely cute set of pictures. I can only imagine his girlfriend in 20 years turning to goo when she see's those pictures. I know I have that same melty feeling when I see pictures of my own Alex when we was a little thing, with a wooden spoon bigger than his head. :-)

 
At 7:26 AM, Blogger Cate said...

I have a few good recipes for no-bakes (peanut butter are my favorite) - want 'em?

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

He's so adorable! And he can cook - I have to get that daughter soon...:-)

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Niki and Zarah Maria...

Yes, Alex will undoubtedly be a great cook...Matt's whole family has the culinary gene, and of course my Mom's been in the business for years, and is training to be a chef/pastry chef right now.

As for girlfriends...we're lucky the ladies aren't banging down the door now: we can't go anywhere without him charming every woman, age 6 months to 90, within sight!

And yeah...we all know how sexy a guy who cooks is!

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sweenicks, I'd love them. I've found a few others out there, but haven't gotten around to trying them.

And when I started making these, both Matt and I thought something was missing...he mentioned peanut butter, and I realized that's what's missing!

Of course, I don't need cookies around that might actually tempt me...but it's for Alex, right? Must be a good Mom!

 
At 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very Cool!! :)

 
At 4:45 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Alice.

I never got to do stuff like this with my own mother (not a particularly warm and giving individual), so I'm determined to give Alex all those things I never did.

And making cookies with his mom is one of them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker