Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Blogging By Mail; or Goodies Go Global

.



For Blogging By Mail, hosted by Nic of bakingsheet, I pulled Cheryl of She Bakes and She Cooks.

I was very excited to be a part of this (I love getting, and sending, stuff in the mail!), but I bit worried, as well. Cheryl lives in Singapore...what on earth could I send her!

All my planned goodies were scratched. There was no way cookies, chocolate, and other baked goods would survive the 2-6 week journey.

So, the first two weeks after I was assigned my 'giftee', I tried to think of things to send. Failed to have the proverbial brainstorm.

Finally, it occurred to me: I'll make candy.

And that's what I did. In addition to some tried-and-true American store-bought candies (Necco wafers, Nerds, Big League Bubble Gum, and so on), I made four flavors of hard tack: cinnamon, mint, anise, and (missing from the photo) root beer. I also made a multi-nut brittle, and molasses sponge candy.

I'd rather have sent along my famous chocolate chip cookies, some shortbreads and miniature lemon poppyseed cakes, but hardtack has a better chance of making it to Cheryl's house in it's original condition. The cookies and poundcakes? Well, they'd have been useful to her as paperweights, I suppose.

I had fun making the candy, something I've only recently gotten into. I did end up with a few battlescars (molten sugar, at 260 degrees Fahrenheit should not make contact with skin...), but I'm pleased with the results.





Here's my goodies from Jessica of CaterpillarBaby. All goodies from North Carolina!

I love the peach buds (I'm a sucker for peach-flavored things). Matt really likes the Moravian spice cookies (I keep thinking I want to make a batch and use the crushed cookies for a cheesecake or tart base). Alex and I have been enjoying the sun-dried tomato basil pesto straws...yum.

This has been a lot of fun, and I hope we all do it again!

5 Thoughts for food:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger S said...

I'm so happy that you are enjoying the snacks!

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Nic said...

Great post, Stephanie. I think that homemade candy was a great idea!

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Jesssica...we do like them.

Nic, thanks! I hope Cheryl likes it, too.

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger eat stuff said...

How much fun was bbm?
can't wait for the next go!

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

It really was fun. I love getting stuff, and I may even like sending stuff more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker