Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, July 30, 2005

ONTBIJTKOEK, or Dutch Breakfast Cake

.



Another breakfast treat for Matt, ONTBIJTKOEK, from Perfect Cakes.

Didn't take much to sell this cake to Matt...cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, brown sugar and crystallized ginger! Some of his favorite things...
Also included, of course...flour, baking powder, and milk.

Bake, cool, then cover in plastic wrap overnight. According to the recipe, if you skip this step the cake will be rubbery. Hmm...perhaps they shouldn't have created a recipe with potential for rubberiness?

Anyway; Matt enjoyed the cake. Said it was very dense. However, in the future, we will not be putting the chopped crystallized ginger in the batter. He says it too drastically changes the texture of the ginger. We might consider scattering some on the top, but not inside.

11 Thoughts for food:

At 3:05 AM, Blogger Joycelyn said...

hi stephanie, you have a wonderful blog. as was this post - looks like the furthest thing from rubbery to me ;) cheers,j

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger eat stuff said...

Never had dutch breakfast cake before.
Looks good, my dad would love it!

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

J...thank you! Fortunately, the plastic-wrap trick works; no sign of rubber.

Clare eats...let me know if you'd like the recipe!

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Joe said...

What a name! Hee hee! With all them yummy spices how could this go wrong - looks so good!

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

You're not kidding, Joe!

I can speak German, pronounce Spanish and a few others...but I think I'll just throw out the white flag with Dutch, eh?

Oh, I know...ginger and cinnaomon and nutmeg...oh my.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Niki said...

Interesting about the rubbery aspect; I didn't find that in any of the recipes I found when right into my honigkoek/ontbijtkoek research phase.
Did you use a flash in that photo? I ask because I've only eaten ontbijtkoek that is a dark caramel colour, and yours is lightly coloured like a pound cake. Very interesting!

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Niki said...

Ps - Yes, and every recipe I tried was dense! It's a real skill to balance the line between pleasantly solid and dense as a brick! It's definitely a loaf for slicing and toasting, isn't it?

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Niki...perhaps the rubbery-thing is simply an attribute of this particular recipe? Who knows...

I did use flash (if I don't, pictures look worse than what I usually post here!), but the cake is definitely lighter than what you make. The outside is a nice brown, but the inside is considerably lighter.


All I know is Matt really liked it. And as long as it keeps him from eating Pop Tarts for breakfast, I'm happy!

 
At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ontbijtkoek is mean to be served as a breakfast bread, the slices slathered thickly with butter. It's supposed to be dense. And it's also usually much darker than what you have pictured.

 
At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reason this cake is turning out white instead of like the traditional breakfast bread served by my dutch parents and grandparents is due to the white sugar. You are supposed to use dark brown sugar in the recipe. Not only will it improve the taste but texture and moisture level. Add honey and ginger marmalade to the dough!

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Um...I did use brown sugar...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker