Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Blog Party #2---Tiki Party! The Round-Up

.

Aloha! Here; allow me to welcome you the traditional way...And welcome to my Tiki Party!

Come on in, don't mind the pets (I swear, at worst, Wicklow and Donegal will lick you to death), and let's get things started.

I've put a couple discs in the player...perfect music for a tropical evening. Hope you enjoy South Pacific Islands



and Vintage Hawaiian Music: Steel Guitar Masters.



Good stuff...I'm feeling more relaxed every minute!

And check out the decorations! All kinds of great island-themed cups, decorations, table settings...you name it...at Oriental Trading Company (and they're a Upromise company...buy stuff here, and get money for your kid's college education!). For even funkier stuff, the fabulous Archie McPhee has all kinds of things like this Tiki Time Shaker Set.



Ok...time to introduce the guests, and check out the food!


First to show up is Niki of Esurientes, who's wise enough to know that there's nothing wrong with starting a party off with dessert! Niki brought us a gorgeous Coconut & Lime Macadamia Cake...fantastic! Who wants the first slice?







Next, it's Cath...who I'm meeting for the first time, as well...from A Blithe Palate, who with a little help from her 'eh, what's the use fighting these crazy foodies any longer' hubby, showed up with some Toasted Coconut, a fabulous-sounding Campari Limeade, and another dessert (an aside: I think we're all going to dust off our copies of Sweatin' to the Oldies tomorrow!): Roasted Pineapple with Star Anise Syrup. Excellent job, Cath, and I'm so happy you could make it!




Oh, look! It's Nupur from One Hot Stove.
Nupur may have saved us (temporarily...I hope no one's counting points or carbs tonight!): she's brought along some gorgeous Fruit Kebabs, of red and green grapes, and pear, as well as Watermelon Lemonade. Absolutely refreshing, and not too hard on the diet, either! Thanks for coming, Nupur!




Alice is here! Bringing one of the more interesting named goodies so far, from My Adventures in the Breadbox, it's Galloping Horses.

How neat! Spicy pork and peanuts atop pineapple wedges...very attractive. And let's not forget about those Pineapple Margaritas! Just wonderful. Thank you, Alice!





Now it's Lisa, with one of my favorite blog names; Restaurant Widow!
Lisa starts us out with a Bali Cosmo...using citrus vodka and papaya juice; just gorgeous. Not to let that papaya go to waste, Lisa also made Curried Coconut Rice Spring Rolls with Shrimp & Papaya...crunchy, and perfect!






From Mahanandi, it's Indira! Oooh...what's this? Little, fried, potato-pea parcels? Yum! And watermelon juice...what could be better?! I'm so glad you could join us, Indira!




Hey, everyone! It's Becky from
Two Foot Kitchen
. How very clever she was, too...Black Beans and Sauteed Bananas, in Phyllo Cups! I love the artistic touch, as well. And a warning: don't drink too many of those Lifesavers! Thanks for stopping by.


And here's Kai of Bucaio is here, with another fairly healthy dish; Salad on a Stick...tomatoes, pineapple and basil on skewers or toothpicks, with just a bit of oil and S&P. Yum!
Kai was busy, as she also brings Dalandan Slush. What's that? A lime-like citrus fruit blended with ice and simple syrup...just my kind of drink.
And more still! Dulong Pate...you'll have to let Kai explain that one to you.
I'm so very happy you're here!


Clare of eat stuff is here! Making sure Casey couldn't eat her ingredients again (tsk, tsk), Clare showed up with a Omni Sparkling Red...I think I hear some empty glasses back there...Thank you, Clare!





Can it be? The lovely AugustusGloop of Grab Your Fork came to the party! What an honor!
And what's this? Pineapple Coconut Muffins!? Yummy! More dessert...my abs are going to pay for this tomorrow...sigh.
Thank you for joining in!



Randi of Culinary Adventures got a nudge from Sweetnicks, and here she is!
Randi's brought Mango Chutney Chicken Curry...yum. She's not convinced it's a perfect recipe, but I know you'll enjoy it. And I just happen to have some butter lettuce leaves for serving it! Thanks for coming, Randi!




The fabulous chefdoc, of A Perfect Pear, took time out of his busy schedule, and just returned from a fantastic-sounding vacation, to come to our little shindig. It's dessert time again...chefdoc whipped up Pineapple Skillet Tarlets with Coconut Ice Cream...wow. Talk about fancy! Thanks for fitting Tiki Party into your busy life, chefdoc!



I am so thrilled ladygoat of Foodgoat was able to make it tonight!
I saw werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's, and his hair was purr-fect...ladygoat turned to the venerable Trader Vic for her (in contention for best name) Bongo Bongo soup. She describes it as 'a pureed spinach and oyster bisque'...I'll get the shot glasses! Thanks for coming by, ladygoat.




Yay! Cathy of My Little Kitchen did a rush job just so she come to our party...aw, thanks! Cathy prepared Tiki Tenders with Pineapple Salsa, as well as Asti Tropical Punch...sounds perfect! Thank you for trying so hard to be here, Cathy.

I hope you're all having a good time. Music too loud? Just let me know.

Oh, wait! I made food, too. Silly hostess.

(All recipes from Retro Luau and Trader Vic's Tiki Party!, or by request)

First up, Killer Island Kebabs.
Chunks of chicken, Portuguese sausage, and sirloin beef, marinated in soy sauce, ginger, pineapple juice, and garlic; broiled (or grilled, in our case) with pineapple chunks. Matt generally doesn't like soy sauce marinades, but really enjoyed this one...especially the chicken.

Next, Yellowtail Tuna Poke (pronounced 'po-kay'); finely chopped (high grade) tuna, tossed with sesame oil, soy sauce, and green onion. Served in spoons, and gobbled right up. The original recipe called for Ahi tuna, but our fishmonger (don't you love that word?) was out.


Pineapple Chicken Salad in Wonton Cups.
This recipe was mainly for me...I used Veat bites. Bits of fake (or real) chicken, chopped pineapple, celery, nuts (called for almonds, but I used macadamia), sour cream and mayo. Mix and chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
I baked some wonton skins in mini muffin cups, and filled them up...very tasty!


Tropical Island Punch Orange and grapefruit juices, mixed with peach nectar and gingerale, then topped with pineapple sherbet.
Tangy!





One last dessert; Macadamia Nut Brittle.

A simple brittle recipe, but with macadamias. Matt really likes it, and I hope you will, too!

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm stuffed. It's been a great party, and I thank you all for coming. I think we're all walking away with some fantastic recipes (without the calories), and some good party ideas.

Mark your calendars for the Blog Party#3; I'll announce the theme next Saturday, with the entry deadline the third Thursday of October. Hope to see you there!

15 Thoughts for food:

At 6:25 AM, Blogger boo_licious said...

Sounds like a lovely Tiki Party with all that scrumptious food. Sorry I did not participate this round.

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger eat stuff said...

great job on the round up!!!
L O V E those shakers my gosh !!!

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger Nic said...

Great roundup, Stephanie. I love the addition of little pictures in the post!

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger MizD said...

What fun! I'm sorry we missed it! I'll be sure to watch for the next announcement --we're always up for a party.

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

boo...thank you!

We'd love to have you join us in October!

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Clare!

McPhee has the best stuff, period. Matt and I went to their storefront, in Seattle, some years ago. We bought so many things, I didn't think we'd have room on the train to bring them home!

 
At 12:18 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Nic!

I really like pictures of the dishes, myself. It's a bit more work, but I think it makes it look good!

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

mrs. d...we'd be thrilled if you joined us in October! Look for the announcement on the first.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Joe said...

Stephanie,

Looks like you had quite the round up to put up! Everything looks so good - great job! Hope to be able to join in sometime!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Joe...it was fun to do.

We'd love to have you join in when you can!

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Nupur said...

See you had a packed house after all! Great party, Stephanie, I am stuffed and buzzed ;)

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Nupur; it turned out to be a pretty good party (although I was almost out o chairs...).

Thanks again for joining in!

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great party, Stephanie and thanks for including my entry in the roundup. What happened to the shrimp and fish dishes you planned?

 
At 1:27 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks Indira...and of course I included you!

Actually, I was just sorting pointing out that seafood would be appropriate. I did make that tuna dish, though!

 
At 7:15 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Listen up, Mr. Butthead Spammer.

I will continue to delete each and every junk comment you leave here. I will find them all, immediately, and remove all signs of your existence.

Go away. I can make it harder for you to do this, and I will.

Find a real job.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker