Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Matt's Fancy Dinner

.



Chateaubriand with Bernaise Sauce, Deep-Fried Souffled Potatoes and Herby Popovers

Just because I'm not a carnivore doesn't mean Matt has to give it up.

I've had this recipe kicking around for some time, and finally decided Matt had to have it.

Gorgeous cut of Australian grass-fed beef, a lovely sauce flavored with white wine vinegar and tarragon. Matt was speechless when he ate this.

In the early days, that concerned me. Had I done something wrong? Was the food horrid?

No, it just meant he was having a foodgasm, and couldn't talk just then.



These potatoes are actually much too good. Sinfully so.

Imagine the center of a French fry, but coated in batter and fried.

No...that's not good enough.

These potatoes are difficult to explain. Simple mashed potatoes are mixed with melted butter, water, egg and flour. Basically, the 'batter' is mixed into the potato.

It's then dropped by spoonfuls into hot oil, and fried till golden.

And then becomes little, pillowy, bites of heaven. I am not lying. I ate a couple, and swore I wouldn't touch another...they're dangerously good.



These mini-popovers were less 'herby' and more 'stinky cheese-y'. Not saying that's a bad thing, mind you.

Both chives and parsley in the batter, but the addition of crumbled Bleu cheese in the middle of each, well, that kind of overwhelmed the flavors of the herbs.

Future recipes...and yes, according to Matt, there will be future recipes...will employ a less-bite-y cheese.

But, Matt cleaned his plate (literally), so I think he liked it.

Oh, that and the fact he spent the rest of the evening telling me "dinner were really good".




Blog Party#19 is under way, and this month, we're taking Comfort in our favorite feel-good foods. Turn your favorite comforting treats to appetizers by Thursday, 15 February (thehappysorceress at gmail dot com), and hope to see you there!




Tagged with: + + + + + + + + +

13 Thoughts for food:

At 11:11 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

OMG - those potatoes!!!!! OK, let's do a deal: I'll fly over and visit you if you promise to make those! Seriously, I wish Iws there for this meal - it looks like total heaven. Lucky Matt :)

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

That's all you have to say?

Very, very good?????

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jeanne: we have a deal!

You guys come over, and I promise we'll feed this same meal to you. Remember...we have a 'guest suite'!

 
At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! That is the best looking steak I've seen in a long time.

I need to run to the store!!!

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks like a great meal!

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger CJ said...

Those potatoes look seriously great - I'm salivating just looking at the photos and reading the description.

 
At 12:35 AM, Blogger Elle said...

Fantastic meal Stephanie. I'm especially drawn to the potatoes, although fried things are presently not allowed. Glad that Matt enjoyed it so much.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Ultimate Foodie said...

Hi... Received ur beautiful valentine's day card...Thanks a lot! I promptly went about exploring ur blog and found it very interesting...added it in my blog roll too :)
A very Happy Valentine's Day to u!

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Jennifer!

We're lucky to have a place that sells such high-quality meat.

 
At 12:00 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks; Matt really enjoyed it.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

CJ; the potatoes are sooooo good. Addictive. Dangerous, even!

You gotta try them!

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, Elle...I'm sorry to hear about that!

Why is frying makes everything taste so much better???

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ultimate Foodie; you're welcome!

Just happy to be part of this. And thanks for the add.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker