Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Emergency Dinner

.




Although I normally plan out a menu for each week, sometimes for a whole month, occasionally a day arrives where I realize I have no idea what I'm making for dinner.

I found myself smack-dab in the middle of one of those days last month.

I decided this was a good time to go Yankee on my kitchen, and 'use it up'.

Matt already had chicken, defrosted, in the refrigerator. We had some rosemary left-over from another recipe. There was some slightly aged garlic, semolina that would be much happier if used...and thus, a plan was formed.



I made my usual focaccia, using the left-over rosemary, the not yet-old garlic, and the remainder of a large tin of olive oil.

I knew I'd do some sort of chicken, and I wanted soup. It was quickly becoming an Italian-esque meal. Authentic? Who knows? But it smelled good.

I started by cooking down onions (also nearing the end of their productive lives), then garlic. After a rummage through the cupboards, I added in tinned tomatoes and eventually, garbanzo beans. I added vegetable broth. Seasonings. I cooked away.
Then I added the pasta. It became less a soup, and more a...ragout. Go with it, I decided.

For the chicken (and Veat), it was very simple: chicken, seasoned only with pepper (you'll soon see why), in the olive oil left from the focaccia topping, and the extra rosemary and garlic. as well as a bit of the sea salt. Cook, turn, repeat.

It wasn't pretty. I'm not even sure if it made sense.

But, oh my; did it taste good!





This month, Blog Party's skipping to the good stuff: Dessert! Your favorite virtual cocktail party is all about the last course this time around. Cakes, cookies, pudding...as long as it's miniaturized, it counts!
And don't forget the drinks---it wouldn't be a cocktail party without them. Alcoholic or no, it's up to you. But we need something to wash down all that sugar, right?

Any time between now and Thursday, 20 December, send your bite-sized dessert and sweet drinks entries to thehappysorceress at gmail dot com, or leave a link here in the comments.

Don't miss the party...get on the guest list by sending your entries in early. And I hope to see you there!





Tagged with: + + + + + + +

0 Thoughts for food:

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker