Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Horseshoe Heart Attack

.



So, Friday night, as I sat on the couch still recovering from the latest Battlestar Galactica episode, I found myself channel surfing. I needed fluff, nothing demanding actual brain activity (Ron & David, you're in Joss territory now).

I found myself on the Food Network, and Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. Comfort food & nostalgia. Perfect for post-BG recovery.

I wasn't really paying attention, but I caught a segment about a diner serving up something called the 'Horseshoe'; a colossal pile of food, one layer upon another. They served several versions, and it was the breakfast offering that got me.

Three layers of thick-cut toast, a giant ham steak, eggs, French fries with either gravy or cheese sauce on top.

It was intriguing, and as I've had diners on the brain this month...plus I'm a lifetime subscriber when it comes to comfort food...I decided to make a version of my own.

Two pieces of toast, topped with Morningstar Farms breakfast sausage links and patties, as well as a few strips of their bacon, scrambled eggs with cheese, hash browns, and a vegetarian sausage gravy.

It was...delicious! And bordering on the disgusting. Perfect. And yes, comfort on a fork.

I ate more than I should have, and packed up the remains for another day. And I kept thinking, 'it's a good thing I'm using lower-cholesterol versions of this, or my doctor would weep for me'.






Invites to April's Blog Party are out, and this month we're celebrating our favorite Diner, Street, and Pub foods by fancy-ing them up and turning them into appetizers!

Your favorite virtual cocktail party is taking to the streets, or rather, our food is.

RSVP by Thursday, 17 April...and I hope to see you there!





I'm hosting the latest Retro Recipe Challenge, and this time, it's all about Mom!

Pick a recipe from a year before your mother was born (thank you John, Paul, George & Ringo) and send those URL's in by Saturday, 26 April. So, tie up those apron strings, paste a pretty smile on your face, and get cooking!






Tagged with: + + + +

12 Thoughts for food:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Shelby said...

This looks and sounds really good! I love the morningstar farm products!

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Lidian said...

Oh my, that looks yummy! I am imagining a totally veggie version, veggie sausage patty, English muffin, scrambled tofu and some kind of melted cheese on top. Oh, and the home fries too!

I am really looking forward to the Blog Party AND the Retro Recipe Challenge!

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Melody said...

I am pleasaed to announce that you have received an award.

http://melodystrapdoor.blogspot.com/2008/04/id-like-to-thank-academy-and-my-mother.html

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I love DD&D! This looks so good and a way more healthful!

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Cate said...

Man does that look good!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

honeyb; me, too. I didn't give up meat because I don't like it, but rather because I like animals more! So a good substitute makes things easier. And yeah...they do good stuff.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Lidian.

Well, I'm ova-lacto, so for me it was totally veggie. All the 'meats' are soy and vegetable based.

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

mk99...thank you! I will reply properly when this weekend finally ends...

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Katie...it was STILL a lot of food, so it's not like eating a banana or something. But oh, my...so good!

Not recommending a breakfast like this every day, though.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Cate...it really was!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

What is it about diner food that is so sinfully delicious?? The monte cristo sandwich I had near Boston sticks in my memory...

And yaaaaay for Battlestar Galactica!! We have been watching it on DVD and are only on Series 2 but I am seriously addicted.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jeanne, I honestly don't know! But whatever it is, I'm a fan.

Isn't BSG amazing? The show constantly leaves me breathless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker