Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Friday, August 01, 2008

Blog Party#37: Retro Party, Redux

.



Today marks the start of Blog Party, Year 4. Our 37th party, the beginning of our 'looking forward, looking back' year.

To celebrate this new 'season', if you will, of Blog Party, this year's themes will be a mix of brand new and recycled.

I thought it would be fun to look back at some of the parties from those early days, and give them another go. We had some good times, and now that we've all have a little more BP experience, who knows what we can do with those old favorites?

To kick things off, we're taking a look back to our sixth party, Retro Party.

We had a really good crowd. Over a dozen guests! The food, the music, the clothes; it was an absolute blast. Plus, I'm just a retro kind of gal.

Hey, it's my party. I'll Lindy Hop if I want to.

So, this time around, we're going back in time. The same rules apply: to 'attend', you need to bring a minimum of one drink AND one appetizer. But feel free to make as many as you want...I assure you it won't go to waste!

If you feel hung up on the 'Retro' part, let me clarify. For the purpose of Blog Party, 'retro' refers to the period from 1920 through the late 1960's. Other people may have their own ideas, but they're not running this blog, are they?!?

Cocktails (or mocktails, or juices or pops, coffees and teas; anything you might want to drink with hand-held foods; it's just we call this a cocktail party, so cocktail gets thrown around a lot) and small bites from those periods, inspired by them, or even re-engineered or re-imagined from those years. The Web is a fantastic resource for 'old' recipes, and of course if you can get your hands on some women's magazines from that time....oh, the wealth of information to be found! Say it with love, say it with jello...

So, there you go. Dust off your patent-leather shoes, bring down the hat boxes, straighten those ties. Shine up the old Roadster, and come to this month's Retro Party!

R.S.V.P.'s are due no later than Thursday, 21 August; the doors open Saturday night of the 23rd. I've already sent my cocktail dress to the cleaners & scheduled an appointment to have my hair 'done'; have to look my best, you know.





If you're new to Blog Party, find a crash/refresher course here.

Send in your URL's to thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. And as always, I hope to see you there!!





Tagged with: + + + + + + + + + +

12 Thoughts for food:

At 4:23 AM, Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

Yippee--I love retro! Can't wait to drag out the vintage cookbooks--this will be fun!

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Avory said...

So I actually *made* a Blogger's choice food and drink by the deadline, but sadly your deadline coincided with a paper deadline, and writing forty pages in a day means no blogging, haha. I'll see if I can make it this time... I'm a little confused about what makes a recipe retro. Does it have to have been published in that time period? Popular in that time period? I have some family recipes that are "classics," but lord knows when they started.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Cakelaw said...

This is a fun theme - thanks for bringing it back Steph.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger NKP said...

Yay Retro!
Those Mad Men brownies have inspired me.....
Wheels are turning...
ps, you have 5 pups?!?
what kind?

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Deb...it's a fun theme. I'm already trying to narrow down my options!

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, Judith! I'm so sorry! How did your paper come out?

For this one, you have a few choices. It can be an actual 'old' recipe, something found in a cookbook or magazine from some time between 1920 & the late '60's. I can be a dish made famous by those eras, i.e. the jello mold! Ok...in your case, an agar agar mold.
Or, it can a recipe of your own that is inspired by those years.
Does that help? If not, send me a message...

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Cakelaw...it is, isn't it? I'm really excited to give it another go, myself!

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Natashya, I agree!I've been looking at so many books, for ideas...getting cross-eyed.

Yep, five. Wicklow is a Jack Russell/Collie mix, Donegal is a Collie/Border Collie (as best we can tell); Doolin is some kind of Border Collie mix. Our 'adopted' pups, the two who showed up on our front porch (no lie), are Duke, a very German German shepherd, and 'Fluffy', named for his looks, is a Chow. I'll have to get a group photo up soon!

And of course, we could knit a new dog out of all the fur they shed, on a daily basis...

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger Chibog in Chief said...

hmmmm Retro..this is a nice one..i cant wait to see the entries..let me see what i can concoct in my kitchen to be in this party :-)

 
At 3:23 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Dhanggit...looking forward to it!

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wayoooo -- I'm in under the wire, here, huh? Talk about not being organized...so yah. Dinner tonight is totally retro. Better get busy!

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Kelly...you were missed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker