Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Joining the Fun-EoMEoTE time!

.

Ever since I first heard about IMBB, I've wanted to get involved in one of these on-line cooking challenges.

It's a great way to learn new recipes, meet new people, and best of all...it's not a competition. Nobody wins. It's all for fun. Fits my philosophy to a 'T'.

So, when I saw Julia's entry in the latest EoMEoTe, I knew I had to get in on this.

My creation?

Tamago Toast Nigiri



Tamago
4 eggs
1 Tbl. mirin
1 Tbl. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. soy sauce

Toast
One French baguette
Butter, or spray butter
Cooking spray

Sauce
Soy sauce
Wasabi paste

Garnishes
Pickled ginger
Wasabi paste

For tamago:
Whisk all ingredients together. Pour a thin layer into a well-oiled pan (a tamago pan is preferred, but you can use a small frying pan) over medium heat. Cook until just set. Using a spatula (or if you're adventurous or have had years of practice, chop sticks), roll up layer of egg to one side of pan. Pour in another layer of egg, letting it flow under the rolled up egg. When set, roll again, starting with the already-rolled side. Repeat until all egg is cooked, and you have a thick roll of egg.
Wrap tightly in a kitchen towel, and press with a heavy weight for a few minutes.
When pressed, slice into 1/2-3/4" pieces.

For toast:
Coat a frying pan with cooking spray. Slice baguette in half, vertically. Cut baguette halves into 3" pieces. Spread or spray butter on both sides, and place in heated pan. On medium-high heat, toast baguette slices till well-toasted and browned on both sides. Set aside.

For sauce:
In a small bowl or ramekin, mix 1/4 tsp. wasabi and 1 tsp. soy sauce till combined (adjust to your own taste). Set aside.

Assembly:
When ready to assemble, drizzle a small amount of sauce over toast. Top with a piece of tamago. Drape a long piece of picked ginger, diagonally, across the tamago. Top with a toothpick's worth of wasabi paste (again, adjust to your own level of hotness).



Enjoy!

9 Thoughts for food:

At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Stephanie, your tamago toast looks delicious! Somehow, I had this feeling that you'd feature something with tamago. Well, given your love for it, it shouldn't be a surprise at all. :)

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Stephanie- this sounds amazing! I'm not familiar with tamago, but I'd like to try it after reading your post...thanks!

Moira

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Moira! Words every cook wants to hear.

Making tomago takes a little practice, but once you know what you're doing, it's pretty easy. And very yummy!

 
At 6:38 AM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Oh wow!! These look really spectacular - kind of like breakfast hors d'ouvres! What a great idea & with your instructions they sound quite doable. Thanks for the inspiration! The EoMEoTE#4 round-up should be on my site by the end of the weekend.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Jeanne! I am really excited about, and proud of, this recipe. And they really are delicious. Hope you enjoy them, and I'm looking forward to the round-up! So happy I heard about EoMEoTE.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger santos. said...

hi stephanie! i love tamago as well, but i've never thought about eating it on toast; this looks fabulous. it's too bad i've given up bread for the lenten season--i'll just have to try this after easter.

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger Anthony said...

sugoi! oishi! oishi! tamago

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Fortunately, Santos...Easter is less than three weeks away!

Thanks Anthony...I have no idea what you said, but I appreciate the visit.

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Sam said...

this is just the cutest idea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker