Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Mardi Gras-ing with the Best of 'em

.

I've not yet made it to New Orleans, although I'm considerably closer than I used to be.

So, until I finally visit the French Quarter, I'll have to celebrate Fat Tuesday in my own home.

I found a recipe for a fairly simple Anduille and Chicken Jambalaya, and split it in half to accommodate a veg-friendly version.



Wow...that was some pretty fantastic jambalaya! It's not an obviously spicy dish; no...the kick from the cayenne comes up and grabs you from behind, after you've swallowed. Still, not so spicy that you were begging for bread.
And the rice? Perfectly cooked; not soggy, and with the best of the flavors. The onions and green pepper were so caramelized and cooked down, I didn't even notice them in the dish...and I made it!
And it makes plenty, so Matt has lunch for the week.

And to really put us in the mood, I made a King Cake.



This isn't the recipe I've used before, but it was the quickest one I could come up with at short notice ("It's Tuesday already? Crap!").

I think the biggest difference between this and the one I'd made in the past was the decorating. And the directions!
This one wanted 1/4 cup of lemon juice to 3/4 cup of powdered sugar...and an additional 36 Tbl. water...!
One, I think they made a mistake, and forgot the hyphen for the water. And b, that was the strongest lemon frosting I've ever tasted (yes, I actually tasted it!)

Still, it came out alright. I think I prefer the 'divide the icing into three bowls and tint gold, green and purple' method over the 'use color paste and dye the sugar' one.

I compromised, and did both!



And, just like the real Mardi Gras festivities, I got a bunch of shiny beads...but as a married woman, it's not quite so shocking flashing your husband, is it?

0 Thoughts for food:

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker