Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

A Taste of Chile

.

And for my next trick:

Garlic Soup and Empanadas!

I have to be honest. I'm having a blast working through all these new recipes.

Continuing in the Sundays at Moosewood...

This meal was postponed when I discovered it called for veggie stock, and I had none at hand. So, after a round of shopping runs, stock was made.

Potatoes, sweet potato, carrots, celery, radishes, onions, scallions, snow peas, red bell pepper, garlic, dried shitake mushrooms, fresh basil and dill. Nice broth.

On to the empanadas.

Matt boiled and mashed some potatoes for me. I came in and sauteed some green peppers and onions, then added some corn.


Add the sauteed veggies to the potatoes, then sharp cheddar and cream cheese, as well as chopped pimentos, and mix it all up.


Nice, flaky dough, and fry them up.

Here's the finished product


For the soup, rub garlic over a piece of good, crusty bread, and fry it up with a little olive oil until golden.
Place the bread (or as Matt called it, a glorified crouton) in a shallow bowl, add some chopped basil, and ladle soup over.


This was a tasty, and satisfying, meal.


The soup had a good flavor...rich, but not heavy. The bread/crouton could have had more flavor, but that was more my fault than the recipe's.
And the empanadas?
Oh...fantastic!

The filling was creamy and spicy, and oh-so good. The dough fried up nicely...crispy, and a nice balance to the spiciness of the filling. I will definitely make these again!






2 Thoughts for food:

At 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey stephanie, those empanadas look really good. I can imagine how sweet and aromatic the filling is with the sauteed onions, peppers, and corn. Creamy filling and crispy dough, oh my, you're tempting me so much! The soup must also be very flavorful with all those veggies. Very healthy too.

Julia
www.aromacookery.com

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I'd never had empanadas before, so this was another experience for me.
And they were fantastic...there's a certain amount of work involved, but they were so darn good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker