Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, January 17, 2005

Sundays at Moosewood; on Friday and Saturday

.

Funny how it works out, eh?

Friday, I tried something completely new and different to me: sesame noodles and wontons.

Sounds odd, to hear that. I know. But, I grew up in a real meat-and-potatoes town. And 'normal' dinners in my house were meatloaf, chicken and baked potato, spaghetti, or some form of goulash. We didn't even get a Chinese restaurant in our area till...ten or so years ago, I think.

And back then, I wasn't the most adventurous food person you'd be likely to meet. I never ventured past sweet and sour chicken! Even at the fabulous Great Wall in Oakland, I only ordered the sweet and sour Not chicken...although I admit I was tempted by five nut not chicken...

Anyway...

I know how much Matt enjoys pretty much any type of Asian food, so I thought 'what the heck'.

I made a soba noodle dish, with a really fantastic sauce (I do love sesame oil), and wontons. Wontons. 50 of 'em. I did that! The filling was tofu (frozen, thawed and crumbled...nice texture), ginger and garlic.



For my very first wontons, I was impressed. I loved the crispiness and the flavor of the skins, and the filling was really good.
As for the noodles...well, my whole issue with cold noodles (or linguine or angel hair or spaghetti) has always been that I can't abide soggy noodles. I always cook my noodles on the safe side of al dente.
So...while the sauce was really good, I just couldn't eat them. Matt totally dug them, though.


0 Thoughts for food:

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker