Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, September 26, 2005

IMBB? #19 I Can't Believe I Ate Vegan!

.



The fabulous Sam of Becks & Posh is hosting this month's IMBB?, choosing Vegan foods/meals for the theme.

Sam suggested we try to 'surprise' someone with our vegan dishes; you know, 'really? You liked it? That's great...it has a tofu base' kind of thing.

It's a great idea, but unfortunately, I don't have anyone I can really spring vegan food upon; Matt knows what I eat, my in-laws know I'm a vegetarian (and vegan's just a step up from that)...and we have no friends. Sigh.

So, it's just us.

Not surprising either of us, I found some lovely vegan recipes in the October issue of Vegetarian Times.

First, Vegetable-Lentil Curry...a curry of lentils, cauliflower, and sweet potatoes.

I thought it was 'ok'; Matt didn't care much for it because...well...he doesn't like sweet potatoes. It's the 'sweet' that turns him off.

(shh...don't tell, but we gave the rest to the dogs!)

To go with, a Spicy Red Dal.

Wow. This dish was hot! Just a half teaspoon of red pepper flakes, but it pretty much ignited the second it came into contact with my mouth. Really spicy, which Matt loves. Me...I need a huge mouthful of rice as a dampener!

Pretty tasty, and very simple to make.

And because (theoretically) you can't end a meal without serving dessert: Crunchy Chocolate Truffle Pie.



Firm tofu, processed with pure maple syrup. To this, add creamy peanut butter, then melted chocolate. Pour into a graham cracker crust and chill to ready to serve. Top with (recipe wanted chocolate-covered pretzels, but we couldn't find any) dark chocolate-covered almonds.

Wow...really rich, really dense. Great texture. You'd never guess it was made with tofu!


Tagged with: +

18 Thoughts for food:

At 9:51 PM, Blogger Niki said...

Ahhh, when's the deadline for that again? I wonder if I have enough time to make something.
Would I be able to get the chocolate pie recipe from you? We have a friend who can't eat dairy (after years helping the poor in India her digestive system is in quite a bad way), and are looking for a good, rich birthday cake/pie/tart that we can make for her.

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Niki, you can post between the 26th and the 30th...I think there's plenty of time.

I'll email you that recipe tomorrow, promise!

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Nic said...

Oh yum! I wouldn't be suprised if we see quite a few more chocolate pies on friday - it looks fantastic!

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Nic! it was easy to make, too...

 
At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that pie looks and sounds really good! I love the chocolate covered almonds on top.

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Jeff! The pie is soooo rich! I couldn't believe it. I mean, I knew the recipe's name included 'truffle', but still: I had a small piece, and could barely finish it!

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Sam said...

The dessert sounds particularly delicious. I have a feeling I am going to get quite my fill of chocolately tofu delights over the next few days. Thanks for taking part Stephanie!

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Sam!

I've been waiting for the first day to post...I made this about a week ago, because you can't let things like cauliflower sit around, can you?

I've had more than my share of vegan exposure, but it'll be fun to see what everyone comes up with! I'm really happy you're giving this branch of non-meat eating the spotlight...thanks!

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job! I'm going to attempt this challenge later this week. I think that omitting cheese from my diet will be the hardest part!

 
At 6:50 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Beth!

I've told my husband that I could easily make the switch from ova-lacto to vegan...except for the cheese.

I'm fine with soy milk, but soy cheese is just so...fake...tasting.

And I love Irish butter!

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Joe said...

I like the dessert with tofu idea. I've made a chocolate tofu pudding sometime ago and it was quite nice. Great idea!

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Joe!

I wish I could claim it as my own...but it was a winning reader who created the recipe.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Randi said...

the dessert looks great, well so does the other stuff. i made a dish with sweet potatoes too. Oh and we have the same dishes, except I only have one in the green color. all my fiesta is in many different colors.

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Randi!

I have nine full settings of Fiestaware, and all nine are different colors. Matt and I like it that way. I also have a pasta bowl in plum, and two of the pitchers...in black and light blue.

I Love the stuff!

 
At 7:47 AM, Blogger boo_licious said...

I love your Indian platter with the yellow coloured rice. I just had some saffron coloured rice yesterday. The pie looks super yummy and yes, who would have thought it is tofu. Amazing!

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, boo!

Whenever I eat any sort of Asian food...Chinese, Japanese, Indian...I need lots of rice.

Both recipes were fairly simple to make, although it took some searching (ethnic grocery store) to find the red lentils.

The pie really was good! But as I keep saying...oh, man. Eat a tiny, tiny, piece. It's so rich!

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Kai said...

Hi, Stephanie, is that pie as easy to make as it sounds? It's my auntie-in-law's birthday celebration tomorrow, as well as my husband's 30th birthday in two weeks' time, and I'm raring to make that pie in lieu of my usual Oreo cheesecake! No fats from the cream cheese and cream this time!

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Kai...it really is! I've just sent along the recipe to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker