Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Citrus and Ginger Roasted Chicken

.



Friday's dinner (I would have preferred to order pizza, but opted not to be lazy), from Food & Wine.

Another case of 'I really should have read the recipe all the way through first...'; as I was preparing to start cooking, I noticed the ingredients called for a whole chicken, with skin on.

Oh.

Yeah, we don't have one of those.

When we buy chicken (for Matt), we get boneless, skinless, breasts (I always worry about typing that...who knows what searches will lead here, or who might be blocked from entering, based on that one term?).

Time to improvise.

The directions were to zest both an orange and a lemon, and grate ginger; stuff it into the salted and peppered cavity of the chicken.

So, I cut a pocket into Matt's chicken and my Veat, did the S&P thing, then added the zest/ginger combo, as well as slices of the zested lemon and orange.

I set the chicken/Veat on coils of aluminum foil, in roasting pans.

Then, juice another lemon and orange. To juice add more grated ginger, honey, and olive oil.

Baste chicken/Veat with juices, and bake...basting every 20 minutes. For a full chicken, cooking time is around 1 1/4 hours. My version took about fifty minutes to bake through.

Nice and citrus-y, with a light ginger note. Served it with wild rice and a green salad. Good stuff.

4 Thoughts for food:

At 6:43 AM, Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

zesty ! Nice going. Good improvise too. * clap clap *

Did u place the citrus slice on top of the chicken breast ?

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

The chicken looks wonderful. I love the flavor of anything citrus with chicken.

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, foodcrazee!

Actually, I stuffed the citrus slices inside the pocket of the chicken, then took them out to serve.

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks Kalyn!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker