Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Hey, Hey; It's Donna Hay #2: Macaroons

.



I completely ran out of time for the first DH event, which is a pity. Everyone was making those self-frosting cupcakes, and I wanted to be a part of that! (I will get 'round to it, though.)

So when Glutton Rabbit specifically asked me to join the second round, how could I refuse?

This month, Donna Hay-wannabe's are putting their own creative spin on Donna's Lime Macaroons.

There's just one small problem; no one in my little family likes coconut!

Oh, well...lucky for me? My father-in-law is coming to dinner Wednesday night, so I'm sure to find a good home for the cookies!

I have to admit I've never actually eaten a macaroon...what with the coconut, and all. So when it was my turn to play with the recipe, I really had no idea what to do. Our challenge was to replace the lime zest with something else.

Oh, yeah...that helped.

I tossed a few ideas to Matt, and he suggested I use one of those bottles of flavoring I'd recently purchased, for candy making.

Good idea, but I don't think cotton candy-flavored macaroons would impress anyone.

I finally settled on raspberry. Once the cookies had cooled I dipped the bottoms in melted white chocolate tinted with pink color, and made macaroon sandwiches.

How do they taste? I have no idea. At least not until tomorrow...I can't get anyone around here to try them!



Tagged with
, , , ,

7 Thoughts for food:

At 1:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well send some over and I'll try them! :) They definitely look cute and tasty!

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

thanks, joey!

Since I only made them at six last night, I didn't have a lot of time to shoot for 'cute'; pink is as good as it gets!

If only they'd travel well? They'd be all yours!

 
At 2:11 AM, Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

Oh, I do love macaroons...

Mmmm.

I like them plain and simple though. I wonder if you could have played around with a cinnamon flavored twist? To go with the cinnamon dolce latte at Starbucks.

Mmmmm. Again. WHY AM I COMMENTING ON YOUR FOOD BLOG INSTEAD OF SLEEPING :)

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Well, I wish you'd been here to eat them. My FIL ate a few, but the rest are going in the trash!

Why? Because I'm the happy soceress, and clearly, I've cast a spell over you!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Rabbit!

Well, you've been busy...hope you had a happy new year!

I wish you could have been around to try them...most of them went in the trash!!!

I'm sorry you missed the party, too, but don't forget: I'll be announcing February's theme in just a couple of days!

 
At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for participating Stephanie. I can' imagine not liking coconut. I'm sure they were tasty even if they did end up in the trash.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks for stopping by, Barbara!

I don't know what it is, but I've never cared for it. My husband has a violent reaction to coconut (although coconut milk is just fine), so no chance there.

My son had half of one, twice; but I think it was just the novelty of getting a cookie!

My FIL ate a few, several went to the dogs, and the rest in the trash.

I suppose that's something!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker