Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Retro Dessert: Just like somebody's mom used to make...

.

Since this month's Blog Party theme is Retro, I've found myself reaching for old-fashioned recipes.

A new book, a Christmas gift from my parents, The Way to a Man's Heart: Romantic Recipes for Every Occasion,



is a pretty good reference.

This cookbook is filled with "Darling...I'm home! What's for dinner?" recipes. Stick-to-the-ribs meals, snacks that in this day and age would constitute dinner, and fantastic desserts.

I've already sticky-tabbed thirty or so recipes, but for my first go?

Chocolate Chunk Brownies



Very interesting preparation. Butter and chocolate melted in a saucepan, remove from heat and add in sugar. Let it cool, beat in eggs, then mix in flour, vanilla and salt. Finally, blend in chopped pecans and chocolate chips. Pour into a pan, and bake till shiny...I swear, that was the in the directions.

Turns out, this is not Matt's favorite type of brownie. He's not crazy about nuts (which I knew). That said, he did like the cake-y rather than pudding-y texture.

I just think they look gorgeous.

Oh, don't worry. He'll eat them. No brownie waste in this house!


Blog Party #6 has been announced, and this month? We're going Retro! Click here for all the information, and remember: entries are due one week from today!




Tagged with
, , , ,

10 Thoughts for food:

At 10:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow...they do look gorgeous. And, Bake till Shiny... :) Love it!

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Alice!

Yeah...shiny. Not your usual baking term, eh?

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Laura, that's fantastic!

And that is the perfect source for Blog Party!!!!!

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I was just going through a set of cookbooks I have from 1959 -- Meta Givens' Modern Complete Encyclopdia of Cooking.

It's a complete guide for homemakers on everything from nutrional needs of their wards to purchasing produce.

On cool thing is a chart that shows the percentage of waste per unit on produce - so you can get more bang for you buck. Peas in the pod top out at 55 percent.

...and there's a recipe for Creamed Tuna (to be served over rice or toast). Ick!

 
At 11:48 PM, Blogger Cyndi said...

But Laura, I love creamed tuna on toast!
Stephanie--wonderful-looking brownies. Looking forward to the "party." I'll post mine the next couple of days.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Creamed tuna on toast...ha ha!

Cyndi, looking forward to your post!

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger Cate said...

They do look great, and fudgy-ish, my favorite! E-mail me the recipe?

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sweetnicks, I'll have it to you before the weekend's over; promise!

 
At 2:07 AM, Blogger All Things Jennifer said...

Mmmmm. THAT is the way I make MY award winning *Chautaqua County fair first place* brownies. Double Chocolate...in a saucepan.

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

It was fun and funky, that's for sure.

And saved on clean-up!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker