Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, February 06, 2006

Sushi at Ginza Japan

.

John: [pointing to Claire's lunch] What's that?
Claire : Sushi.
John : Sushi??
Claire : Rice, raw fish, and seaweed.
John : You won't accept a guy's tongue in your mouth, and you're going to eat that?
Claire : Can I eat?
John : I don't know. Give it a try.



Matt and I had a rare night to ourselves; season tickets to the Clarence Brown Theater insures us an Alex-less evening every six weeks or so, and Saturday was our night.

After taking Alex out to eat lots and lots of chocolate, we dropped him off with my in-laws (ha!), then before we witnessed a fabulous production of As You Like It (the wonderful Carol Mayo-Jenkins, who played Miss Sherwood in TV's Fame, was a castmember), we made our second trip to Ginza.

We'd stopped in once before, a couple of months ago. It had been a rather impromptu visit, and we had a desperately in need of a nap Alex with us.

This time, we were able to relax, and have a nice dinner by ourselves.

Well, if 'by ourselves', I mean a conveyor-belt sushi bar filled with customers, many friendly and attentive servers, and a very cool and helpful sushi master; sure.

We'd learned from our previous visit that, for reasons unexplained, the items I normally order weren't on the menu. We also learned that they do, in fact, offer these dishes, so we knew we could order off-menu.

We started with green tea for Matt, and sweet tea for me (what? I don't always have to go traditional!), as well as bowl of edamame in pods, and a plate of light and crispy Asparagus Tempura.



The asparagus is still firm; it's like they cooked it long enough to disqualify it from the 'raw' category, then coated and fried it. Crisp, and so delicious. Matt's not much of a veggie eater, and he happily shared this with me.



We shared a few orders of Tomago; Ginza is the only place in town that makes it. We've been making tomago at home for years, but it does take some effort, and let's face it: neither of us have spent decades perfecting our technique. So, it's nice to finally let someone else take over!

The egg is just barely sweet, and very dense. We really, really liked it.



Just one order of Inari for me, and I'm glad that's all I asked for. This was the one disappointment in an otherwise excellent meal.

The aburage were only half-filled, and frankly, tasted a bit stale. Oh, I still ate them, I just didn't feel as happy about it.



Kappa and Avocado Maki; both very good. Expertly rolled, perfectly ripe avocado. What more can I say? It's just veggies in rice, people.



And Matt ordered two Smoked Salmon; I can't say much, since I didn't eat any. But he made happy noises, and the fish quickly disappeared, so I'm guessing it was good.

Forgive any glare in the photos: I was trying to discreetly snap pics of the sushi, without drawing attention, or offending anyone.

We've only sat in the sushi area, so I have no idea what the rest of the restaurant and service is like. If it's anything like the sushi area, it must be good.

We ate good sushi, didn't eat too much, but still walked away full, and didn't break the bank doing it.

Heaven forbid you find yourself in this area, but if you do, I most definitely recommend Ginza!

Ginza Japan
1612 Downtown West Blvd.
Knoxville, TN 37919
865.694.1688



Oh, and please allow me a moment to gloat: STEELERS WIN!! STEELERS WIN!!








Blog Party#7 has been announced, and this month? It's all about Red and Hot! Your cocktail and appetizer entries are due in less than two weeks, 16 February; so start planning, and hope to see you at the party!


Tagged with: , , , , ,

13 Thoughts for food:

At 12:05 AM, Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

yummy! looks like yuo have a double celebration. 2 of u together alone and STEELERS !

Wowowee

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks!

I've been waiting a long time for this...I was pretty young the last time they won!

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger cavacavien said...

Hi!
I thought that you had a delightful sushi dinner at Ginza area in Tokyo!

Let me ask ...do you like japanese food? kyoko

 
At 3:02 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hello, cavacavien!

I'd loved to have eaten at Ginza, Tokyo...perhaps someday!

I do like Japanese food; in fact, my husband and I are fond of pretty much any type of Asian cuisine.

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The asparagus tempura looks fab. I've never tried it before, but i can imagine its crispness would work well in tempura.

Nice to see you and Matt spending some quality time together! :)

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Julia!!!!!!!!!

The asparagus tempura is really, really good. I wouldn't have thought of it, myself, but now that I've had it, I absolutely love it.

It is nice to get out and have a little time to ourselves!

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger yana said...

sushi! omg...this place is dangerous. i totally salivate all over myself. food! hehe. i'm going to link you b/c i want to. lol. food!!! i'm hungry. i luv this place!

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Which place offers danger: the sushi bar, or my blog??!!

Link away...and thanks.

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger yana said...

lol. danger? this whole place is dangerous for foodies. omg. lethal. *drools at your dangerously delicious blogs*. :D. no worries.i will link away cuz i want everyone to drool.

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger yana said...

stephanie!!! i seriously love your joint. i think i'm a bit loopy. hehe. here's my ode to you. cheers.

http://gothemangoes.blogspot.
com/2006/02/dispensing-happiness-
sushi-at-ginza.html

keep it up :D. can't stop drooling.

asparagus tempura? omg. *drools*. yep, this place is lethal. lol.

 
At 1:07 AM, Blogger yana said...

oops, so sorry! this the correct link. hehe. cheers. :D

http://gothemangoes.blogspot.
com/2006/02/dispensing-happiness.
html

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Well, hey...thanks!

 
At 6:07 AM, Blogger yana said...

you're welcome! ;D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker