Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Blog Party#7: Red & Hot!

.



Here it is, the first day of February, and that means it's time for this month's Blog Party theme announcement!

Blog Party, everyone's favorite, and virtual, cocktail party (because, you know, there's soooo much competition out there).

It would have been nice and easy to make this month about chocolate, or heart-shaped foods, or something so obviously Valentine's-y. But to quote Tina Turner, I never do anything nice and easy.

No, this month Blog Party is all bout Red and Hot.

We're making our bite-sized foods, and our lovely cocktails, with ingredients that are red. Ingredients with heat. Or, both.

The theme might seem a bit restrictive, but in fact, your options are endless. Tomato, Bell Pepper, Strawberries, Rare Beef, Red-skinned Potato.

How about the full range of chilies? Cinnamon, ginger, wasabi, even.

Any way you can work 'hot' and 'red' into a dish, go for it.

And can you believe this is the seventh time we'll get together to celebrate the fantastic-ness of hors d'oeurves? We've had a blast over the last six months, and I know this party can only get better...thanks to you, and your continued support of my quirky little event.

But there's still a chance Blog Party has flown under the radar for many foodies, so with that in mind...here's a recap:



Blog Party is a virtual cocktail party for food bloggers. It's a chance to make those little bites and fantastic drinks we all love, but never make. Blog Party is about taking time for us: setting aside some time to cook (which, clearly, we all love), to prepare appetizers we want to eat but never get around to. And best of all, it's about getting together, albeit via the Web, with like-minded friends.

On the first day of each month, I announce a theme for Blog Party. Past themes have included Tiki, Big Game Night, and Holiday.

Food bloggers who want to join in have the next few weeks to think up or find recipes to go with the theme. One of the 'rules' for Blog Party is that each guest is to 'bring' both an hors d'oeurves and a drink, in accordance with the theme.

Make the foods and cocktails/mocktails you'd love to have at your own party. Better yet? Host a real cocktail party!

Either way, make your dishes and post your entry (with pictures, preferably) to your blog. Post at any time. Send me your links by the third Thursday of the month (email address is provided below). That Saturday, I post a round-up...though we like to think of it as introducing our guests, and the amazing food they've brought along.

In addition, I also include some party tips: decorating ideas and sources, as well as themed-music selections.

By the end of the night, we've all made some friends and discovered new recipes. And frankly, had a good time without all the calories. And Best of all, you can add the new dishes to your own cocktail party repertoire!

Now, for the 'rules'.

What, in my opinion, qualifies as cocktail food:

  • Finger foods: anything that can be picked up, carried around and eaten with one hand...the use of the second hand as crumb catcher is perfectly acceptable

  • Dippers: vegetables, crackers, bread, chips, breadsticks and any inventive foods which are used for scooping or spreading dips and uh...spreads

  • Miniature meals: by this, I mean a normal-sized dish, cut or displayed as individual servings. A quiche, cut into small enough pieces to be eaten in less than four bites would be accepted.


So, start thinking about what kinds of Red and Hot dishes you want to make. Entries are due Thursday, 16 February, with the round-up posted that Saturday, 18 January. You may post your entry any time before the 16th, just be sure to send an email with your link (thehappysorceress at gmail dot com), or leave it here in the comments, no later than 16 February!

So, save the date, and hope to see you there!


Tagged with: , , , , , , ,

8 Thoughts for food:

At 10:37 AM, Blogger Sam said...

Ha ha, that's funny, I have done this before on a scale far bigger than you could ever imagine!

it'll depend on the overtime as to whether I can take part this time round

sam

 
At 11:06 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Sam!

Wow, that's pretty impressive...I don't think my stress levels would allow me to host a real party of that magnitude. Nor would Alex; he needs his Mommy!

I hope things work out so you can join us...what are you working on now?

 
At 4:07 PM, Blogger Elizabeth said...

I can't imagine hosting (or even attending) a large party either! How does one talk to everyone?

Here is my entry for Blog Party#7. I hope I'm not too early!
blog from OUR kitchen - beet chips and spiced dip

-Elizabeth

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Elizabeth; I'm not sure you can. I know there are people I didn't get find time to speak to at our wedding, and we had fewer than 80 people!

Thanks so much for joining us...and stay tuned for the round-up!

 
At 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I took the morning flight to bring my Latin Lover's Kiss and red bell dippers with hot ajvar-quark from the North of Germany.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ostwestwind; I appreciate you using up all those frequent-flyer miles to get here!

Great entry, and we'll see you again Saturday!

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie and now I come with quark explanation. It's a very common dairy product. Perhaps the Ferengi would like it?

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you! That was very useful, and now the recipe makes complete sense to me.

Hmmm...would the Ferengi like it? Only if there were a profit to be made!

Thanks again for the explanation...I couldn't find anything when I looked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker