Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

I hear that potato's one hot tart...

.



First, I have to say: Galactica rocks! I can't wait for next Friday's finale, and at the same time...I don't want it to be over. Sigh...

Enough of that. Back to the food.

Friday's menu was a Steak Sandwich and Chile Potato Tart with roasted tomatoes and garlic.

I started on the tart (I know, I know; seems appropriate), while Matt handled the sandwiches.

The potato tart is another recipe from this book; don't you love it when you plan to make a dish, get started, and only then realize you don't actually have all the ingredients???

The recipe calls for roasting about a pound and a half of plum tomatoes. I didn't have any plum tomatoes. I did have a single, ordinary, tomato.

The recipe called for the roasting of a red chile. I didn't have a red chile. I did have a few jalapeno peppers.

The recipe called for creme fraiche. I didn't have...well, you get the idea.

A nice, basic, crust. Flour, butter, grated cheese (called for Parmesan, I used Asiago), water...with an optional diced chile pepper, if you like. Not having one around, I threw in about a tablespoon of ancho chile powder. Roll, line pan, chill, and blind bake.

Top that with the roasted tomato flesh, pepper and garlic (all roasted and smooshed together), then cooked potato slices, followed by the creme fraiche. We used a sour cream-yogurt-cream mixture, in it's place. Bake till top is golden.

Not quite what I set out to make, but in the end, a gorgeous, and good, potato tart.



For the sandwiches (cheated for me, using those Morningstar Farms Meal Starters strips), a paste of garlic and sea salt, butter, parsley, lemon juice and mustard are spread on a roll...rosemary ciabatta here. Lightly seasoned strip steak is cooked on high heat, two minutes per side, allowed to rest, then sliced and added to the sandwich.

For Matt, it was almost too rare...he said it was like steak carpaccio. But the butter spread was fantastic, and it made for a good sandwich.

Tonight, we're heading out for a delayed anniversary evening: dinner at an Italian restaurant, followed by some toy shopping for Alex's birthday, and finishing up at the theater. Don't know if I'll risk a camera, but I can always take notes!




Blog Party 8 has been announced, and this month, we're having Brunch! Turn your favorite breakfast foods into bite-sized treats, and get those entries to me no later than 16 March; Blog Party is 18 March. Hope to see you there!



Tagged with: , , , , , ,

2 Thoughts for food:

At 2:56 PM, Blogger Cate said...

Dinner looks great - I love steak sandwiches. :)

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks...and so does Matt!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker