Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Blog Party 8: Brunch: Worth Getting Up Late For

.



I know you've been waiting...with breath that is bated...for the next Blog Party theme to be announced. Well, who am I to deprive you of your fun? No, really; who am I???

This month, Blog Party is taking it easy. Sleeping in a little later than usual.

This March, we're having...Brunch.

If you're anything like me...and for your sake, I hope you're not...you love breakfast foods, but hate getting up early enough to enjoy it.

We'll occasionally have eggs and toast, or pancakes, for dinner. I'll have an egg, cheese and fake bacon-bagel sandwich for lunch.

But I can't stand getting up at six or seven...well, for anything...but especially to cook and then eat breakfast.

No, I firmly believe the day should not, by law, begin until ten. And I also believe that breakfast food should be available 24 hours a day!

So this month, we're making our little bites from breakfast dishes. Bite-sized quiches and frittatas, tiny cups of fruit salad...mimosas, champagne cocktails!

Create all your favorite breakfast foods, but in appetizer form. Small bites, for breakfast...at night!

Hang on...you're a late riser, and you have no idea what this 'Blog Party' business is all about? Lemme 'splain.



Blog Party is a virtual cocktail party for food bloggers. It's a chance to make those little bites and fantastic drinks we all love, but never make. Blog Party is about taking time for us: setting aside some time to cook (which, clearly, we all love), to prepare appetizers we want to eat but never get around to. And best of all, it's about getting together, albeit via the Web, with like-minded friends.

On the first day of each month, I announce a theme for Blog Party. Past themes have included Tiki, Big Game Night, and Holiday.

Food bloggers who want to join in have the next few weeks to think up or find recipes to go with the theme. One of the 'rules' for Blog Party is that each guest is to 'bring' both an hors d'oeurves and a drink, in accordance with the theme.

Make the foods and cocktails/mocktails you'd love to have at your own party. Better yet? Host a real cocktail party!

Either way, make your dishes and post your entry (with pictures, preferably) to your blog. Post at any time. Send me your links by the third Thursday of the month (email address is provided below). That Saturday, I post a round-up...though we like to think of it as introducing our guests, and the amazing food they've brought along.

In addition, I also include some party tips: decorating ideas and sources, as well as themed-music selections.

By the end of the night, we've all made some friends and discovered new recipes. And frankly, had a good time without all the calories. And Best of all, you can add the new dishes to your own cocktail party repertoire!

Now, for the 'rules'.

What, in my opinion, qualifies as cocktail food:

  • Finger foods: anything that can be picked up, carried around and eaten with one hand...the use of the second hand as crumb catcher is perfectly acceptable

  • Dippers: vegetables, crackers, bread, chips, breadsticks and any inventive foods which are used for scooping or spreading dips and uh...spreads

  • Miniature meals: by this, I mean a normal-sized dish, cut or displayed as individual servings. A quiche, cut into small enough pieces to be eaten in less than four bites would be accepted.


So, down-size your early morning favorites, taste-test a few breakfast-y cocktails, and join us this month for Blog Party 8: Brunch!

Post your dishes no later than 16 March...early is always good...and get your links to me either by posting in the comments, or by emailing me at thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. I'll post the party round-up Saturday, 18 March, and I hope to see you there!




Tagged with: , , , , , , , ,

25 Thoughts for food:

At 5:58 AM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

Argh man! I just did brunch with loads of little thingies for the girlfriends for my birthday last weekend - and never managed to snap any photos! DOH! Guess I'll just have to recreate then... :-)

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh...the horror. You'll have to make and eat all kinds of little breakfast foods again. It's such a difficult life, eh?

Seriously, I do hope you can join us this month...you're sorely missed around here!

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like delicious fun, and breakfasty things are just so wonderful, aren't they? But mini-sized?! Gawd, you should see the troughs of porridge I can put away! Should be a fun challenge.

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Tania, I do hope you'll join the party!

Pretty much anything can be down-sized...and you have a few weeks to work it all out!

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds great.This will be my first one.
Emily
http://madmommychronicles.typepad.com/biscuits_and_blues

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Fantastic, Emily! I look forward to your entry...and if you have any questions about the pary, feel free to ask.

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger bilbo said...

i'm in. I already know what to make :)

 
At 9:46 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Excellent!

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger Nupur said...

This is such a fun theme! Count me in!

 
At 11:23 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Yay, Nupur! Look forward to seeing you at the party...

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger CameraDawktor said...

Should I put the blog party 8 tag on my post w/ the brunch recipe? I can save and use the little blogparty one, but was having difficulty with the larger, orange blog party eight. My computer recognized it as an unknown file. Any pointers?

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Cameradawktor; use whatevr works for you. The little icon is perfectly fine...and I can't wait to see what you made!!

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger anni said...

Hi, Stephanie!
I had such fun at the last blog party, I'd like to join you for Brunch!
One of my favorite types of meals. Thank goodness, around here, Brunch can last way into High Tea!

Count me in!

Tootles,

Anni

 
At 4:37 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Anni, I'm with you!

I adore brunch...all the breakfast foods you can eat, without the rush.

When I was at college, our cafeteria (dubbed 'Chuck's', after the guy who ran it) would have a Saturday brunch. The did the works: pancakes, eggs, biscuits with sausage gravy, bagels, cereal...you name it. And they stayed up till one o'clock, but as long as you were in the door before that, you could sit around at least another hour enjoying the food! (And for cafeteria fare, it was pretty good) Highlight of my week.

I can't wait to see what you make, and remember: you can send in your entry any time!

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger PatL said...

Well, here's my entry: caramelized onion and bacon tart

I know it's terribly presumptuous for a first-timer to ask, but is it possible to be included without the little breakfasty cocktails? Pretty please? Because I don't really know any, but I did spend a good long while on my post! I could always add something lame -- er, I mean simple -- about orange juice mixed with seltzer if a cocktaily thing is needed ... just let me know. :o) Thanks!

 
At 12:11 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi PatL, and welcome!

I hate to be a pest about it, but a drink of some kind is required...juice and carbonated water is fine; Matt and I don't drink alcohol, so I'm always coming up with some kind of fruity mocktail.

Hope it's not too much trouble!

 
At 3:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uups, my Sektfrühstück got lost.

 
At 4:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie,

just in time I arrived with my Saffron Poppy Knots and Riding-Hood-sparkling wine for the Sektfrühstück

It's still about freezing point here and we have a kind of snow.

Greetings from the North of Germany

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Michele said...

I'll be there :)

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Ostwestwind...it may have gotten lost, but clearly found it's way here! Hey, it's a loooong trip from your neck of the woods to mine. Thanks for coming to the party!

 
At 12:16 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Michele; you're officially here!

 
At 12:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hood was translated with pants? She wore a small red "cap" so it is Rotkäppchen :-)

 
At 12:59 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I know!

I can't remember the exact title (it didn't come across as pure 'little red riding hood'), but it was 'pants' or 'britches' or something like that.

And don't think a bunch of fifteen year olds didn't get a laugh out of that!

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwww.... I found my way here just today. I guess it is too late for this month, but perhaps I can join you next time?

I'm a newbie blogger and a blog party sounds like fun!

Drop by my blog at http://saffronhut.blogspot.com sometime.

cheers!

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Saffron Hut; I'd love for you to join us next month!

I always announce the new theme on the first of the month, so be looking for April's theme (and it's going to be a good one) in just a couple weeks.

And welcome to food blogging!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker