Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

And now it's time to repent...

.



The fun's over, but there's plenty of cake left!

A King Cake, replete with a tiny, Made-in-China, plastic baby, to get this house in the Mardi Gras mood. While the recipe called for tinting the icing, I opted to spoon it over the cake, then decorate with purple, gold and green sugars.

I think this is the fourth or fifth King Cake I've made, and Matt thinks it's the best one yet.

(And, yes...I did 'earn' those beads!)




It wasn't all sweetness on Fat Tuesday; I also prepared a fantastic (Foux) Andouille and Chicken (and Shrimp) Jambalaya.

I love this recipe. I made it last year, and despite all the left-over's, I just can't get sick of it. Onions and bell peppers cooked till they're caramelized and brown, chunks of (fake) sausage and (fake) chicken (and in my case, fake shrimp), nicely browned and seasoned, with rice, and cooked down till water evaporates. It's such a fantastic dish!

One day, we'll celebrate in Louisiana. Till then, we'll do our best to recreate the mood...without the drunkenness... right here in Knoxville.





Blog Party 8 has been announced, and this month, we're having Brunch! Turn your favorite breakfast foods into bite-sized treats, and get those entries to me no later than 16 March; Blog Party is 18 March. Hope to see you there!





Tagged with: , , , , , ,

8 Thoughts for food:

At 6:20 AM, Blogger Fiber said...

So what exactly does fake shrimp taste like?
Is it anywhere close?

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Nic said...

I love that cake Stephanie. I just can't get enough this time of year.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger Cate said...

The cakes always look so festive, but how do they taste?

The Jambalaya looks great!

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Fiber; it's surprisingly realistic!

I was not much of a seafood-lover back in my meat-eating days, but I adored shrimp. When we first started buying these, I couldn't get over how similar in taste and texture there were...and Matt, my committed carnivore of a husband, agreed.

I like them coated in panko and lightly fried; yum!

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Nic!

I was pretty happy with the way it turned out, though you're icing job was much prettier!

 
At 11:21 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Sweetnicks!

The cakes are fantastic. Matt describes them like this: "Medium sweet and mildly lemony. It's a sweet bread, like a cinnamon bun,
rather than anything we'd otherwise recognize as a cake, so most of the
sweetness comes from the filling and glaze rather than the main substance."

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite King Cake has white chocolate on it.Yum.

 
At 11:24 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oooh...Emily! I have not seen such a thing...tell me more!?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker