Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Questions for the Masses

.

Two questions for my readers:

  • 1. I'd love to hear your thoughts and success/disaster stories about making white chocolate ganache. I've attempted this three or four times...that's three or four recipes; each recipe required multiple tries.

So, have you made it? What were your results? I'm about to give up on white chocolate here!

  • 2. Can anyone recommend an inexpensive, reliable, stovetop espresso maker? Even though neither of us drink coffee, and we do have a bare-bones coffee maker, I'd like to be able to offer espresso to our guests after dinner.
Thank you in advance!



Tagged with: + + + +

6 Thoughts for food:

At 1:21 AM, Blogger Haalo said...

The best stove-top italian espresso maker is the simple and inexpensive Moka Pot (the aluminium versions work really well) - you can get them in all sorts of sizes from two cups to 16 cups.
There is another type called the Napoletana or Caffettiera Napoletana, that's not as simple to use, you need to invert the pot during the process.
At home we had versions of both but the Moka was used most and seems to last forever, one of my mother's pots are well over 40 years old.

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Erika W. said...

I've made a white chocolate ganache as a filling for a truffle. I used Marcel Desaulniers recipe for proportions of white chocolate to cream- and I used Ghirardelli bars for it. I've never tried to use it as a pourable ganache though. I wonder if by the time you get all the cocoa butter and cream together that it's just too much fat and the ganache doesn't firm up- is that the problem? I would try and fix that by adding some white confectionary coating to the mix and seeing if that helps it adhere a little better.

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Haalo, thank you!

I will definitely check that out; that's a big help!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Erika; I will have to look into that.

I've used Callebaut, Ghiradelli, you name it.

My problem comes after I've added the cream...it gets all grainy! I made three batches Saturday, and finally just gave up and used a whipped cream.

Even my mom, the pastry chef, complains about how finicky white chocolate can be.

Believe it or not, I have tried adding candy melts to the mix; even that didn't help.

But thank you so much for the tip!

 
At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephanie,

I have a little 4-cup Bialetti espresso maker, the "Venus" model from their stainless steel line. I've had it for about 6 years, and it works like a charm every time. You can get them in larger sizes, too, and they are not very expensive at all. Here is their website, if you're interested: www.bialetti.com.

I can't help with your ganache question, though, except perhaps to offer myself as a taste tester ... ;-)

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Tania, and thanks!

I was looking at the Bialetti line, but kept reading comments about leaks at the seal...have you had that problem?

I really liked their prices, though...and the range in sizes. I don't need a big espresso pot, just enough to offer a few cups if someone wants it.

Hmmm...I may take you up on that ganache offer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker