Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Hazelnut-Rapberry Torte

.



This is how the cake looked when I waved goodbye to it. If it still resembled the picture by the time it reached it's destination, I've yet to learn.

Because both my Saturday & Sunday were kind of busy, and as Tuesdays are regular dinner-with-the-in-laws nights (long story; don't ask), I waited to make my mother-in-law's cake till today.

The recipe is from Williams-Sonoma Desserts, and while it does require a few steps, it's really pretty easy to put together.

Toasted and skinned hazelnuts are ground (in a food processor) with a bit of sugar, flour and salt. Put that aside, and whisk together sugar and egg yolks. Ignore that for a bit, and beat egg whites with cream of tartar. Then, you start folding everything into one bowl, and pouring it into a jellyroll pan. It bakes a short time (mine was ready in something like seventeen minutes), allow to cool completely.

Meanwhile, simmer cream and seedless raspberry jam, reduce heat and whisk in a goodly amount of chocolate (mine ended up being a hodge-podge, as I hadn't the proper amount of any one kind), and let it sit and cool.

When the cake's ready, cut it into three strips. Top one with some of the chocolate glaze, add a cake, then more glaze, the final strip of cake, then finish the whole thing off in chocolate.

Top with gorgeous raspberries (one of the best fruits, ever), and dust with powdered sugar.

Very dense, very heavy (to lift, at least), but so very pretty! And I had a taste of that glaze...I'm not one for fruity desserts, but that combination was just perfect.

Now I have to wait to hear if they liked it...





Blog Party#22 is here, and this month, we're taking on the Wild, Wild West!
There's just a few days left to turn your favorite Western dishes into appetizers, and cocktails/mocktails, and join the party.
Entries are due this Thursday, 17 May; you can leave a comment here, or email your links to thehappysorceress at gmail dot com. Hope to see you there!




Tagged with: + + + + + + + +

6 Thoughts for food:

At 7:41 PM, Blogger Erin said...

Oh, my...that sounds amazing!

 
At 4:21 PM, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

I have that book and there are many good recipes there!
I made the Bûche de Noël last Christmas and my family loved it.

This looks fantastic, Steph! I love raspberries too and to pair them with hazelnuts is heaven!

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Erin!

Turns out, the in-laws loved it. ATe rather larger-than usual slices that evening.

And, I'm happy to report, it did Not deconstruct during transit. One lone berry broke free, but Matt was able to re-attach it without much effort.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Patricia!

I've come to realize that, if it's in the W-S book, it's going to be good. Matt got me a series of their cookbooks for Christmas, and I could barely put them down.

The recipes are sooo good! I mean, you read them, and you want to make it. Plus, every single recipe gets a picture in their books. I know how expensive that can be, and that it's why many books don't include them, but for me? I want to see what I'm about to make. Food is visual, after all!

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

Steph, I couldn't agree with you more - a cookbook without (loads of) photos is something that puts me down. I want to see what I'm about to cook! Photos are always a great way of choosing what to make, especially for someone like me, who can't make up their mind about food to save their life. :)

I have "Cakes" and "Desserts" and I've been thinking of getting 1 or more ("Bread" has been on my mind). Is there one you recommend? I'd love to get your opinion.

Thank you!

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Patricia, I'll have to search the shelves...I'm not even sure any more which ones I do have.

I know I have cakes and desserts ,as well, but I know Matt bought me at least two more. I'll get back to you on that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker