Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Daring Bakers: Tender Potato Rolls Late, but Not Really

.



I'm a teensy bit late posting this, although the actual challenge was met with time to spare.

It's been an insane week...no, not week. Two months, actually. And I was still very much in recovery mode yesterday. No posting, just resting.

This month's Daring Baker's challenge was Tender Potato Bread, and I choose to shape mine into rolls.



Normally, I'd go with bread, but with the big Two-Days-After Feast approaching, rolls seemed the logical choice.

The recipe was multi-stepped, yet easy. Potatoes were boiled, and mashed. Water was reserved and used to proof the yeast. There was a lot of flour, a goodly amount of kneading, two risings, and in the end...I had a heck of a lot of rolls.

Per usual, I did not have the appropriately-sized pans, so I used whatever was handy. Squares, rectangles...and rounds. I liked these best, as the rolls came out looking like flowers!



Rolls, loaves and focaccia have been popping up all over the globe. Please visit the Daring Baker's Blogroll, and see what the rest of the group has been up to!





Tagged with: + + + + + + Yeast + Bread + Flour

40 Thoughts for food:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Beautiful rolls! What will you do with all of them?! (okay, that's a hint....)

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger cookworm said...

Beautiful rolls. The flower shape is adorable, and your crust looks so shiny and crackly! Hope you had a lovely post-T-day dinner and will get a chance to relax now. :)

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger breadchick said...

Steph, wow! I love the uniformity of your rolls!! They are perfect and look so chewy and tasty that I'm drooling here. As usual what a blast to bake with you on these little challenges as well as the other things we do outside of DB!

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger slush said...

Floury, crusty goodness, YUM! Your rolls look perfect!

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger April said...

Your rolls look great!

 
At 12:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

they came out great!

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger Gabi said...

Your rolls are lovely!
Now try to R and R as best you can after the big event!
:)
xoxo

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Deborah said...

Your rolls look wonderful!!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Julius said...

Yes, these rolls are beautiful!

They look nicely browned and chewy inside. How did you get such perfectly uniform sizes?

Julius from Occasional Baker

 
At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great looking rolls...love how the crust came out!

 
At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovely-looking rolls stephanie!

 
At 8:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The flower-shaped rolls are really pretty!

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Tempered Woman said...

Your rolls look great... and you're a superwoman for getting to them in light of all your other plans going on! I must say that roasted vegetable soup would go great with these rolls- hah!

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Julie said...

I have to improvise cooking and baking containers all the time, but not with so much success. Your improvisation with the flower rolls came out so lovely! Job well done!

 
At 8:05 AM, Blogger Helene said...

Great job Stephanie! I love the shpae and look of your rolls! No worries about being late, look at the party you had to put together! Hats off to you! Your boy has grown so much, wow!!!

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Miri said...

The rolls look really yummy! Flower shaped and all :) I saw the recipe elsewhere and handling the dough sounded really difficult....

I have made butterfly shaped traditional Goan rustic bread and posted them on my blog yesterday and when I looked at your pics now, realised that I have the same glass shallow dish and the black non stick baking pan!!! and thats how I baked them too!

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Love the slide show!

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger marias23 said...

Wonderful looking rolls! Love the way you arranged them!

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger creampuff said...

Love that bread!

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Lydia!

Well, if you could have gotten here in time...

Matt used several for the left-over roast beef, and I turned the remainder into stuffing!

 
At 10:12 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, cookworm!

I just think it's funny that the rolls came out like that...the flowers, I mean.

Rest? Ugh. Not likely. It's full-on baking from now till Christmas, I'm afraid!

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, breadchick!

I have no idea how they got so 'uniform'; by the time I got 'round to forming them, I was exhausted. Sheer luck, I'm guessing.

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks so much, Slush!

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, April!!

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Marye, they did come out looking good, didn't they?

And thank you!

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Gabi...I had a few days 'off', but it's back to work. My list of cookies-to-make gets longer every year!!

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Deborah, thank you!

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Julius, and thanks!

I have no idea!

As I mentioned, I was pretty tired when I made them...the baking gods must have been smiling on me at the time!

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks Joey!

They did have an amazing crust, didn't they?

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Abby!

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

thanks, Linda!

Complete accident, but the flowers were a lovely surprise.

 
At 10:18 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi, Tempered Woman!

My problem is...I always assign myself too much to do! But the rolls were great, and yes...they did go well with the soup.

Of course, that soup was pretty amazing on it's own!

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Julie!

So I'm not the only one stranded with odd-sized baking pans? What a relief! I thought it was a conspiracy by the the companies to get me to buy more stuff (and lord knows, I haven't the room for it).

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Tartlette!

Oh, thanks. The party was a lot of work, but great fun.

And isn't he, though? He's almost four feet tall...and not yet five years old!!

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Miri...that's funny!!!

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Quellia; thanks!

I find it simpler than posting photo after photo.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Marias23; thank you! It was a happy accident.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, creampuff! Everyone else seemed to, as well!

 
At 4:15 PM, Blogger Dolores said...

Wow Stephanie, your pull-apart rolls are stunning. I'm glad you found the time to participate -- AND to post -- this month. Make sure you're taking care of you!

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Dolores, you're sweet!

I'm trying, really I am. It's just...so many Christmas cookies to bake!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker