Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Blog Party#33: Diner & Street &...: The Round Up

.



Welcome to another Blog Party!

This month, we're hitting the road. Ok, no. We're unlikely to un-glue our butts from the comfy chairs in the house, but our food & drinks? Another story.

We've taken inspiration from our favorite road-side stands, pubs, diners and other on-the-road, full of comfort, foods. And as always, you've all done an impressive job!

We'll get to the food in a moment, but first, I'll put another nickel in the jukebox. A few selections include tracks from these album:

The soundtrack to Diner



CSNY, with 4 Way Street



Harley Davidson Roadhouse Blues



Speaking of jukeboxes, with the kind of food we're eating tonight we will definitely be needing these cute jukebox napkins!




As you can see, I've set up small table all over the house, so grab a seat anywhere.

And on each one, you'll find these absolutely perfect condiment bottles!



Because it seems appropriate, I've hung this up on the wall, too:


And for all our cocktails, this garnish holder is simply perfect!






Ok, now let's get to the introductions & eat!



We have a nice crowd tonight, and as the orders are placed, we start with Judith! Fortunately, this is one diner that can guarantee some veggie-friendly fare.
Judith's going fancy-French on us, and ordering the Grand Marnier & Sugar Crepes; now that's some high-end street food!
She's sweetened her order even more with a nice big cup of Grand Marnier-spiked Dark Drinking Chocolate; yum!
That's all sounds wonderful, Judith...you'd better guard your plate because there's a good chance the rest of us will come by for a taste!







mk99's taken a seat, and she's clearly in the mood for something fun & portable. In that case, a couple of these Hot Buttered Pretzels should hit the spot!
Have I mentioned that soft pretzels are a weakness of mine??
To wash it down, mk just wants a nice, cold, Beer...but with a slice of Orange. Sounds perfect! And if you feel like sharing one of those pretzels with me...





We have a first-timer here tonight, everyone be sure to give a proper Blog Party welcome to Lidian! Have I mentioned that your banner looks a lot like my kitchen curtains??!
Again, it's a good thing this kitchen is kind to vegetarians! And with that in mind, it looks like Lidian has decided on a plate of Roasted Tofu Satay with Peanut Sauce. Mmm...sounds good to me! I don't have tofu that often, but when I do, it's often in a similar dish.
A glass of White Wine, and she's set.





We have another newcomer here tonight; everyone say 'hi' to theSassyChef!
But you'd never guess this was her first time calling out an order for a Blog Party. Because The Love Feud of the Green Sisters, a gorgeous Asian-inspired, veggie-and-beef-elicious topped cucumber round, is absolutely beautiful, and perfect!
(and it may be the first time a BP dish has required footnotes!)
TheSassyChef decided on Amazake to drink, and yes...that seems just the thing for it.





As we work out way around the tables, it's Harmony's turn. I'm fairly certain this is her first time at Blog Party, so let's make sure she feels welcome!
Harmony's sticking with the always-popular fair-and-street food option, and ordering more soft pretzels! But these ones are just a bit different, she's asked for a couple of Soft Oaty Pretzels. Mmm...crunchy. And it looks like she's having a glass of (German?) wine: Liebfraumilch.





We turn to Mrs. W; who I believe is also visiting us for the very first time! (if not, smack me). Welcome!!
Mrs. W has a craving for some beautiful & layered Kofte Kebabs with Pomegranate Reduction & Lentil Salad ; they may be a mouthful to say, but these gorgeous spoonfuls look pretty easy to eat!
Another order paired with a glass of wine (do I even have a liquor license? or it is BYOB?), this time Mrs. W is in the mood for Goats do Roam.





Look...Gabi's here!! She doesn't need a menu, though...she knows exactly what she wants. And that would be the full-on comfort food of the Blue Plate Special: Mini Meatloaves, Tiny Taters, & One-Bite Banana Cream Pies. And what better way to wash it all down than with a Cuppa Joe Kahlua Float?? Now that's Blog Party-style Diner food!





Who's that over in the corner? Why, it's J! Good to have you back, now get on over here and join us. What'll you have?
Ah, how perfectly perfect! My early impression of British food was that everyone ate fish & chips, in newspaper, of course. I know better now, but I can't help but smile at J's order of a slightly-modernized Fish & Chips, in the Sunday paper, too! Whee...!
It may not be traditional, but that gorgeous bottle of Evian will certainly win you points for style!








I know you've come to expect multiple plates from me, but tonight all I'm in the mood for is some comfort food, Diner-style. So I'm ordering the very simple Grilled Cheese Mini Sandwiches & Shots of Tomato-Basil Soup.

Just slices of baquette, buttered and topped with cheese slices (you know, the orange stuff!), and grilled till melty. An espresso cup filled with Ina Garten's Roasted Tomato Basil soup hits the spot. Exactly the kind of food hug I was looking for.

To go with, a nice cold glass bottle of Coca Cola. I'd show you, but Matt's started drinking it already!


As always, you guys knocked it out of the park. So many ideas, so many interpretations. And all in bite-sized form! I am constantly amazed and impressed by the dishes you come up with, and tuck them away for all my special occasions.

This one was a lot of fun, and I think it gave us a chance to go the 'homey' route. But next month? Oh, we're going to have a blast. I mean, it's going to be different, and fun, and kind of pop culture, and I honestly have been waiting to do this since I came up with the theme last year!

So those of you who entered via the comments, would you please drop me an email? I'm not sure I have an address for all of you, and I want to get May's theme to you as soon as possible. The rest of you will hear from me soon. In the meantime, catch up on your sleep, dust off Mr. Pointy, and get ready to patrol...!








I'm hosting the latest Retro Recipe Challenge, and this time, it's all about Mom!

There's still time to join!

Pick a recipe from a year before your mother was born (thank you John, Paul, George & Ringo) and send those URL's in by Saturday, 26 April. So, tie up those apron strings, paste a pretty smile on your face, and get cooking!







Tagged with: + + + + + + + + + +

Labels:

6 Thoughts for food:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Wow--what an impressive bunch of dishes! Thanks for a great roundup, Stephanie.

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger ServesYouRight said...

How fun! Not what I expected to see at all! Thank you for hosting!

Smita

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger Gabi said...

Thanks for another lovely party!

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Amanda!

It was a good bunch, wasn't it? Thanks so much for joining us!

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Smita...thanks!

And we miss you around here; we'd love for you to join in again!

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Gabi, you're so welcome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker