Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Blog Party#34: The Buffy Bash Round-Up

.

Hi, I'm Stephanie!!

(flat out rip from "Welcome to the Hellmouth", in case you're ???)

And welcome to another Blog Party, with full-on Buffy-ness. Because it's a Buffy Bash!!

Some might think it silly to build a cocktail party around a late-nineties mid-summer replacement show on a fledgling network with a name like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. To them, I can only laugh. Laugh and then hide till they go away...

I knew there were true fans out there, fans of the Whedonverse, fans of Buffy, who would 'get' what I was trying to do. And one look at your food and drink contributions proves me right!!


I've been ready & in the mood all day, waiting for you guys to show up, because I've had some amazing tunes playing throughout the house.

The obvious thing to do would to put in the Buffy soundtrack, and while it's an awesome CD, it's not nearly long enough for one of our parties. Instead, I grabbed discs from the various artists on that compilation.

Starting with the near-goddess-ness of Bif Naked (she of the frat party gig when Buffy hooked up with Poop-Head Parker), and her fantastic album, I Bificus.





Next, we've got to have some Four Star Mary; the band responsible for performances on the show by 'Dingoes Ate My Baby'; so it's the appropriately-titled Thrown to the Wolves.





Just because they're so freaky, I had to add some Rasputina (they always make me think of Drusilla); Thanks for the Ether. (wait till you hear the one about the Donner party; I'm so not kidding)





Finally, how could we possibly have music and not play the incredible soundtrack to the equally-incredible Once More with Feeling?? Joss rules.




Now, I know we're not a large group, but just in case...and after all, there is a grave yard not far from here...name tags!




I've set the table with these not-too terribly scary tombstones; after all, half the show took place in a cemetery!




For the vamps & other non-humans, keeping the decor away from the bright & shiny with these black roses.




Oh, and of course, everyone goes home with a favor: chocolaty (hearse) goodness!




Sticking with basic teen/college style party wear, though...and black seems a safe choice, what with all the deaths and missing persons in Sunnydale.




And now we should probably get on to the food, before, you know...unwanted 'guests' show up!


There was a lot to do to get ready for tonight, but fortunately I had some extra help as J showed up nice and early! I not only appreciate your help, but that you managed to dust while leaving the cobwebs intact...
J's offering up a whole lot of Spiked food tonight, from Devils & Angels on Horseback and Impaled Steak, to Garlic-Laced Boursin-stuffed Freshly Baked Dough Balls and Deviled Chicken Thighs to a Vampire Cocktail and Devil's Food Cake Bites. Whew!
I bow at your awesome-y-ness, J; thanks so much for coming!



I'm always happy with Jeanne shows up for Blog Party, and tonight's no exception!
She's not really a Buffy fan (it's never too late to catch up, you know...), but Jeanne's not one to walk away from a challenge. Versed in Buffy-lore or no, she came prepared with these gorgeous Vampire-Slaying Tomato, Basil and Marinated Feta Skewers. A mouthful to say, but a bit easier to eat!
And the perfect pairing? A Bloody Mary, of course.
You totally came through, Jeanne...so glad you're here!



DebinHawaii makes her first visit to Blog Party tonight...welcome!
She was a bit of a late-comer to the show, but she certainly knows her Buffy! And I couldn't help but giggle when she showed me her Doublemeat Sliders & Garlic Fries with Hellmouth Dipping Sauce. Hee!
(Everybody, you have to stop! Stop eating! It's not beef. It's people! The doublemeat medley is people! The meat layer, it's definitely people. It's people! It's people! Probably not the chickeny part, but who knows? Who knows!?)
And her Soylent Green cocktail? Could it be more perfect?? I think not.
Most excellent, Deb; we're all happy you came!





Lysy's next one in, and despite being another a non-Buffy watcher, she's managed to come up with the cutest and possibly most original bites for the party: Slayer Tombstones with Blood-Red Relish and Anti-Vampire Garlic Dip...I'm loving the very Buffy-like 'B'!
Her drink, however is less for us and more useful as a deterrent: Nosferatu's Bane. This one is strictly for keeping the vamps away!! Let's just hope we don't have to test it.
Love it, Lysy...thanks for coming!



Pam's here, and you gotta love her dedication! A Giles mug (and did he or did he not single-handedly make librarians sexy?), and Oz quotes? She slays me.
Pam's serving up more 'staked' food, this time with a bit of a twist. You have to try her Staked and Dusted Flank Steak with Rhubarb Dipping Sauce; nice and bloody!
She's also got a very Buffy-sounding drink, a Berry Cosmo. Except Buffy would probably tell you "A world of no" if offered one! If beer's bad, vodka's got to be worse!
Love it Pam...and now you have your very own Giles mug!





Haalo's back...so good to see you!
She, too, has turned to food on a stake, this time offering Buffy a reprieve from all the vamps with her Spicy Skewered Prawns; a touch of heat and color, on a stick!
And another cleverly-named drink tonight, this time it's Haalo's Bluddy Slayah (boy, blogger really didn't like that spelling!)! I agree; the Scooby Gang probably gets tired of all that blood, a little girlish pinkness would be welcomed.
As are you, Haalo! So very glad to have you back!




Holly's next, and she knows exactly what a bunch of teens and twenty-something demon fighters want: sweets!
So, satisfying our sugar cravings while fitting the decor, she's serving up one of my favorite treats, with a twist: Red Velvet Whoopie Pies! Better keep them away from me, or no one else will get to taste them!
We encourage our guests to play with their drinks, and Holly did just that with her Raspberry-Spiked Orange Soda...so pretty!
Wonderful, Holly...so glad you could come!



breadchick's here!!! I'm always happy to hear about someone coming to Buffy after the fact; proof the show holds up. And breadchick's no exception. It doesn't take long to become a Convert!
I had to laugh at the name of her appetizer; did you know my web page (desperately needs updating) got it's name from that episode? The Cheeseman Stake Sandwich...a take on the Philly Cheese Sandwich, inspired by the funny little cheese guy showing up in the gang's dreams.
And do try her Boris Karloff! Not Buffy, no...but fitting.
Thanks so much for coming!



Hey, gabi's here!! Hi there!
Playing with food, play on words...it's all good here at Blog Party. So gabi's fun and pick-up-able Olive to Stake a Heart with a Little Cheese! Ok, that's a lot to say. Maybe we should just go with 'more, please'?
Sunrises are bad for vamps, but a welcome sight for the Slayer. So this Buffy’s Killa Sunrise with Blood Orange and Cherry is just what the Watcher ordered!
Too much fun, gabi...good to see you again!




Let's be sure to give a huge Blog Party welcome to Natashya; this is her first time here! I liked her right off the bat (oh, man...did I just type 'bat'? Bad Stephanie), because anyone who cooks with puppies at their feet is my kind of gal!
Natashya got into Buffy with her daughter, which I think is beyond awesome.
For her inaugural bash, she's serving up Staked Chicken & Strawberries with Balsamic Vinegar. Another stake through the heart!
To go with, try her Spiked Sunnydale: oh, you guys are funny tonight.
So happy you could come tonight, Natashya!




Our last guest is another first-timer; say 'hello' to Katy!
I have to agree with her about loving the early seasons; and sure, 4 wasn't a total wash (I found Riley grew on me after-the-fact). It's 5 I can do without: Glory was a crappy villain!
Katy takes us back to Doublemeat Palace, with her Doublemeat Panini (asked if the Doublemeat Process is interesting, Buffy replies: "Oh, yes! Like how the cow and the chicken come together even though they've never met. It's like Sleepless in Seattle if Meg and Tom were, like, minced"). I'll take Katy's sandwiches over anything the DM offers, any day...and I'm a vegetarian!
And her drink? Hee...a Stake Driver. Lovin' in.
Thanks so much, Katy!!



I started watching Buffy when it first aired; coming in around the second episode, watching it in on Sunday afternoons (must of been re-aired). At first I resisted. I distinctly remember saying, to no one in particular "oh, don't tell me they made a show from that stupid movie".
To my great surprise, I fell in love. With Buffy and Xander and Giles (dreamy) and Angel and the whole gang. Loved to hate Cordelia (that whole 'redemption' thing on Angel? Never bought it.)
End of season 2, broke my heart. I can't listen to Sarah McLachlan without weeping.
I began a disciple of Joss Whedon. I told my friends about the show. I taped it, and would lend them out to anyone who was willing to give this program with the silly name a chance.
And no surprise, there were converts.
Not just people my own age, but some the same age as my parents. Smart, highly-educated people (like my husband and his older brother). They recognized it was about more than pretty people fighting the 'monster of the week'; it was smart, it was social commentary, it was witty and heart-wrenching. Just with pretty people.

We still love the show, and find ourselves quoting it without effort. Hard not to, thank you Joss.

So yes, this party was a bit special for me. And I had Lots of ideas.

Almost made waffles

Anya: You don't have to go to work?
Xander: No, I shut the crew down for the day. My guys started dancing around me. I don't know if I can deal. It's a flab thing. So, waffles?
Anya: Will you still make me waffles when we're married?
Xander: No, I'll only make them for myself, but by California law, you will own half of them.


I thought of a simple dip with chips.

Willow: What about Buffy's welcome home dinner tonight? I told her mom we'd help out, bring stuff.
Cordelia: I'm the dip.
Xander: You gotta admire the purity of it.


I almost made little chocolate bars, and wrapped them in foil.

Principal Snyder: That guy took my candy!
Buffy: The candy. It's gotta be the candy, it's cursed.
Principal Snyder: Curse? I've got curse?


Instead, I went with what I think are 'classics'.




"I wear the cheese, it does not wear me." Restless




"I'm cookie dough. I'm not done baking."




"And then, you know, if I want someone to eat--- or enjoy warm, delicious cookie me, then, that's fine. That'll be then. When I'm done" Chosen




"Hey, Juice!" The Witch




"Oh, poor Watcher. Did your life pass before your eyes? 'Cup of tea, cup of tea, almost got shagged, cup of tea'?" Bargaining




"Buffy: You! I mean, I can't believe you got into Oxford!
Willow: It's pretty exciting.
Oz: That's some deep academia there.
Buffy: That's where they make Gileses!
Willow: I know. I could learn, and have scones." Choices


For the younger crowd, cheese and crackers. Good cheese, mind you, and nice water crackers. But see...they're on a SHIRT plate. So, the shirt is wearing them.

Next, spoonfuls of chocolate chip cookie dough. Not baked. Yummy.

And, Hey! Juice! Freshly-squeezed oj. Not much more to say.

For the older and stuffier crowd, a nice cup of tea, and tiny scones with strawberry preserves.


You guys are amazing!! Your Buffy bites are fantastic, your enthusiasm is heartening. This will always be one of my favorite parties, and I thank you all for making it so darn cool.

Now, it is late...and dark..., so when you leave be sure to walk in groups. And do pick up some crosses, stakes and Holy Water on your way out!

Announcement's for June's party coming soon, and it's just 2 months till we celebrate our 3rd anniversary!!!

Hope to see you all there.





Tagged with: + + + + + + + + + +

16 Thoughts for food:

At 2:48 AM, Blogger Anne said...

Oh time just flew this month.. I so wanted to play, but didn't manage. I really, really enjoy the round-up though, and your creations were awesome! Especially cookie dough :) I thought about cheese, too, as in when Dawn explains what Buffy likes. Cheese.

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only there were more hours in the day, or days in the week, or...well, you get the idea. ;)

This is great! I wish I'd had more time to join in.

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Tempered Woman said...

Wow~ that is one hell of a party roundup! You definitely know how to throw a blog party. Thanks for the fun post and great links to peruse. Listening to Bif Naked.right.now.

 
At 11:31 AM, Blogger Gabi said...

Thanks so much Stephanie- thought I'd "mosy" on over to the dance floor and check things out. Extra points for "mosy"...
Great roundup! Lots of fun playing with food and nothing that gives me the wiggins. You know once you've invited some people in...well!
Take Care and see ya later.

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stephanie, thanks so much for inviting me to hang out with the gang in the house. The party favor is so much fun I'm going to be torn between munching on it while I traipse home (stake in hand) and keeping it!

Can't wait to see what next month brings.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger NKP said...

Thanks for the great party, you are an excellent hostess "from eyeballs to entrails, my dear".
I look forward to the next get together.
Such good food, drinks, friends. Where were Ted's cookies though? Mmmm, cookies.

 
At 11:50 PM, Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

Stephanie,
Thanks for a fantastic party and roundup! I had a blast and look forward to the next one--although the Buffy bash will be hard to beat! ;-)

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Ginny said...

As a lover of Buffy and parties, this was a great idea! I was sad that I couldn't get my stuff together but great job! everything looks awesome!

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Anne, I hear you!! It's a wonder I managed to get my act together, and I'm the hostess!

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Erin;

Girl, you get a get-out-of-Blog-Party-free card! Moving, wedding, job hunting? And no time to cook? How about time to breathe???

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Tempered Woman...thanks!! I love doing it.

And Biffy rocks. Literally.

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Gabi...and yeah, caught the 'mosy' reference!

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey breadchick...you're always welcome here!

Besides, we didn't have time to bake Saturday, and you have to test out my desert-kitchen!

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hey, Natashya! Hee, Spike.

Well, my unbaked cookie dough will have to do, I guess.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Deb, you aren't kidding! And try coming up with themes for three years!!!

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi ginny! Sorry you couldn't make it, but hopefully you can join us another time?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker