Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, May 05, 2008

Daring Bakers Challenge: The Eternal, Internal, Struggle

.



I've come to the conclusion that my lateness in posting is due more to a psychological-induced resistance than my increasingly busy schedule (although that hasn't helped).

April's DB challenge was Frozen Cheesecake Pops.

That's a...problem.

See, there's very little in the world of sweets and baked goods that tempts me.

I can happily bake cookies, cakes, pies and rolls. Make candies and chocolates, and at best take a 'taste' to make sure it won't cause gastric issues.

But there's one thing, one heavenly, dastardly, come-hither item that gets me weak in the knees.

And that would be cheesecake.

I avoid cheesecake, as a rule. Because if it's around? I will eat it. Happily, gluttonously, consuming that cheesy goodness till it's gone. And were you around, you might just catch me scraping the platter for those last few bits...

I suppose I knew that when I made the cheesecake pops, I'd be faced with a rather large amount of finished product. And as I'm the only one in our home who eats cheesecake? Guess who would end up eating it all?

Putting it off as long as I could, intentionally or not, the end of the month suddenly showed up (not finding my calendar till about that time only made things worse). I decided to face this challenge...a literal challenge...head on.

So I made the cheesecake.

And oh, dear god. Was it good. No, no it wasn't good. It was delightful. I cursed the recipe and the challenge and everything associated with it, because it was GOOD. Had it been an 'eh' recipe, maybe I could have gotten through this. But no; it had to be fabulous.

So, I avoided the mess again. I put off the next step, which was scooping the cheesecake into balls, skewering them with sucker sticks, and freezing them till set.

But I eventually worked up the nerve to tackle this stage, as well. And with my deep freezer, I could leave them there for a few more days, while I worked up the nerve to finish them.

Unfortunately, I was left with 'excess' cheesecake. And I...confess. I faltered. I slipped. I gave in to temptation and darn it all: I ate it! A bowl-full here, or a few bites there.
And I tried really hard to feel guilty about it.

But finally, I buckled down and coated those pops with chocolate. And decided to pass them on to my in-laws. To rid myself of further temptation.

Of course, before I did that, I had to give them a taste-test, just to be sure they were OK...

Many, many Daring Bakers have tackled this challenge, hopefully with less drama. Be sure to visit them and 'Ooh' and 'Aah' over their finished products!






This month, Blog Party is having a Buffy Bash! The whole party devoted to everyone's favorite Slayer, with appetizers and drinks based on, or taken from, the show. So put on some season 3 DVD's and get those entries in before Thursday, the 15th. Hope to see you there!




Tagged with: + + + + +

20 Thoughts for food:

At 11:10 PM, Blogger Sheltie Girl said...

Great job on your pops!

Natalie @ Gluten a Go Go

 
At 5:18 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

I feel for you, I had a similar problem. Fortunately everyone else would eat them too though, so I was saved by that.

 
At 8:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i also avoid cheesecake, but for the opposite reason to you - i find it very "meh".

well done for getting through the challenge though. perhaps you'll try it again when you've recovered from the trauma of making this batch of pops!

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Deborah said...

I'll admit that I ate way more than I should have. I'm still paying for it this month!

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Jacque said...

I know exactly how you feel about cheesecake, lol. This recipe WAS good. Good job getting it done, your pops look great!

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Julie said...

Your pop looks great! And I relate to your inner struggle. I made half a batch and ate them all myself. Turns out, they freeze well, so I'd snag one every other day or so. Or two ... too many. Sigh. Sorry if this posted twice--blogger gave me a little trouble. ;)

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

Interesting - you are one of the first Daring Bakers I have read this month who really, really liked the pops! Glorious photos - and well done you for your dogged perseverance ;-)

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Cakelaw said...

Hi Stephanie, I loved these pops too - luckily I was able to save myself from them by taking them to work (but I still managed to devour 3 - and there were an awful lot of them).

 
At 12:23 PM, Blogger Gabi said...

You were so brave to forge ahead into that cheesecake minefield.
I only made half a batch, made about 6 pops and took most of them to work. I did enjoy a leftover helping (or two) unfrozen and covered with chocolate sauce and -it was good ;)
Can't wait for the Buffy Party!

 
At 2:07 PM, Blogger Dolores said...

I'm so glad you risked the temptation and gave this challenge a try... I really enjoyed your story!

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, sheltie girl!

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Jenny. I wish my guys would eat it, but no-o; they make me do it!

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Abby, I find it really is a divided camp with cheesecake: people either love it (like me), or couldn't care less about it.

Ah, no. I think I'll stick with my safety-first plan, and not make any more!

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Deborah...five years after having Alex, I'm still fighting with weight. I'm not too concerned about the cheesecake!

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Jacque...I wish I didn't like them so much!

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Julie!

I was finally able to unload some, but yeah...there were a lot of them, weren't there?

No worries about the posting!

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jeanne...really? I thought it a really marvelous recipe (dang it all).

And thanks; I kind of like the photo, too!

 
At 9:26 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Cakelaw...Oh, you're lucky! Only three? I shudder to think how much cheesecake I've already consumed.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Gabi!

I hate to miss a challenge, you know...!

Oh, can't wait to see what you make!

 
At 9:28 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, Dolores!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker