Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, April 21, 2008

One of My Favorite Things

.



My grandparent's house was the one place I always felt I was 'home'. Lots of love there, growing up.

Theirs was a great place to be a kid, too...big yard with trees and a garden. I loved the white birch tree in the front yard, tearing those strips of 'paper' off and pretending it was a secret message (see, odds are I was pretending to be an undercover agent during World War II...). There were places to hide, enough space to play kick-ball with the neighborhood kids, a good front porch for sitting and reading, everything you could want.

But one thing I remember most: the lilacs growing in the front yard, right at the edge of the property that sloped down from the neighbor, Althea.

Even as a child, I looked forward to those two or so weeks when the lilacs would bloom. I'm not the girliest of girls; I don't go ga-ga over flowers. But something about those lilacs drew me in. Their scent was intoxicating. I didn't even mind sharing space with the bees. I just wanted to dance and sing and play around those beautiful light purple flower bunches so I could inhale their beauty.

When we first looked at this house, it was June. Everywhere we looked, the property was a gorgeous and vibrant green.

We bought the place in September, and busied ourselves with numerous indoor projects (rooms with nine and eleven layers of wallpaper; I kid you not) and just basically getting settled.

When March & April came around, that first spring in the house, every morning was a discovery. A joyous, fragrant, discovery.

Every time I looked at the property, I found some new flower, or tree...with buds in white, pink, and even a couple shades of purple! I remember thinking "purple trees, how perfect for me".

There's a rose bush just beyond the kitchen window that, without fail, blooms within a day or two of Mother's day. Every year.

The yard itself is a wonderland, with all the wild violets and spring onions and other sweet smells.

But it was the day I realized I had my own lilacs that I truly felt this place was 'home'.

Tucked into a corner, where the semi-wrap-around porch joins the walls to the kitchen and dining room, is an eight or so foot tall beauty, with a bounty of lilacs. I can see them from the window above the kitchen sink, I can watch them from the dining room.
The pair of cardinals who live here spend a great deal of time there. We can eat dinner and listen to Mr. Cardinal sing his beautiful song, perched on a lilac branch.

They're a wonder to look upon, and the smell? Oh, the smell of lilacs. Any excuse to walk by will do, and when I do pass them, I find myself lingering, inhaling that earthy, sweet scent.

The smell of 'home'.

6 Thoughts for food:

At 6:35 PM, Blogger Deb in Hawaii said...

I LOVE lilacs as well, I think they are my favorite flower! The color and smell are so wonderful! I grew up with them in my parents old home in Oregon and miss them now living in Hawaii. A couple of years ago I spotted some at a florist here and spent an outrageous amount on a few branches of them to have in my house. They lasted slightly less than a week and were quite the guilty pleasure for the cost but they were so worth it. When you pass by them again, please smell them for me. ;-)

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Consider it done!

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger chriesi said...

I am also in love with lilacs! Wonderful flower.

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Chriesi...couldn't agree with you more!

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Jeanne said...

What a fabulous post. I think for me the smell of home would be seringa tree blossoms as our house was surrounded by them. I loved coming home in the evening and staring up at the blossoms silhouetted against the black night sky and smelling their sweet perfume.

 
At 9:31 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Jeanne...sounds delightful!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker