Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, May 19, 2008

Cheesy Bread Baking

.


Hot Cheese Bread

Maybe because I'm still dealing with childhood issues, but I was a more than a little surprised to be asked to join a group of rather prominent food bloggers in an online baking endeavor.

But when breadchick invites you to bake these amazing Gruyere loaves (from the King Arthur Flour site) and chat with some pretty awesome gals, how can you refuse?!




We're all grown-ups (at least chronologically) with busy lives, so it took some time to sort out the details. Eventually, though, a date was picked, Skype was updated, and we got ready to bake.




We all started our, um, starters, the night before, and that Saturday we all logged in and got the uh, ball of dough rolling (I'm tired, forgive me).




It was a disturbingly easy dough to make, and work with. It was so soft, so supple! Which is probably not what we should have started talking about, because I'm sorry...get a group of women together (some perhaps enjoying a glass or two of wine) and without fail the conversation will switch from cooking and jobs and family to, uh, less family-friendly topics!




I didn't get to spend as much time chatting with the girls as I'd wanted; other commitments (like being a mom!) pulled me away from the computer fairly often. It seemed, though, that whenever I popped back in, as if I'd just walked into a party!

We had a really good time, and yes, those loaves tasted as good as they looked. The effort was minimal, the wait during rising times a good excuse to do something fun, and the result? Fantastic.

Ladies, it was a pleasure. I'll bake with you any time.

Those in the group: Mary, Helen, Ivonne, Kelly, Lisa, Laura Rebecca, & Sara.





Tagged with: + + + + + +

12 Thoughts for food:

At 12:09 AM, Blogger LisaRene said...

Ooo, Gruyere bread sounds decadent! These look very light and fluffy, I'd take one over pizza any day :)

 
At 1:18 AM, Blogger Sara said...

It was an easy dough, wasn't it? Which is great because I'm going to make these lots.

 
At 1:37 AM, Blogger kellypea said...

You are soooo right! It was a lot of fun. I get the mom duties. My youngest is 16 now, and he clears out when I'm cooking, so it's a cruise now. And your cut dough is perfect, all sitting up nicely. Excellent! Mine looks like it got run over by a bus. I swear I can see tread marks...;)

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Lis said...

Okay so I'm seeing a pocket that would be perfect for a lil pepperoni stuffed in there.. *swoon*

I'm sorry I missed you on our bake day! I was really looking foward to being able to chat with everyone for at least a lil bit.. figures it'd end up being a day we were only home for minutes at a time - but nevertheless - can't wait for the next one!

xoxoxo

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger Morven said...

YUM! You bread baking gals win my awe and admiration. Homemade bread is just not my thang but if you say it's easy I may have to reconsider!

PS - I've tagged you for a lil meme. Hope you don't mind

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger creampuff said...

Your bread looks so good. I'll never get tired of looking at that melty cheese!

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

lisarene; this is such a good recipe, and I can't stress how easy to make it is. You should definitely try it!

 
At 1:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Sara, it really was! And I think a really good recipe for anyone who's shy around yeast...

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

kellypea; sixteen? Ouch. I'm not looking forward to that age! Alex is just recently five, so he's still manageable. Of course, he's already four feet tall, so who knows how long that will last!

Tire tracks? Really? Yikes! I think mine came out so well because of the South's humidity.

You know, I never thought I'd find something positive to say about living here in the South, but man, does dough rise like crazy thanks to the heat and humidity!

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Lis!

OOooh...that's a neat idea. Veggie pepperoni for me, of course. But intriguing, your idea...

Me, too! I was so busy with this, the DB cake, and taking care of Alex, I didn't get to spend nearly as much time chatting as I'd hoped. Next time, I'm sending the guys off somewhere so I can have the house to myself!

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Hi Morven!

Truth, it's that easy. It's such a nice dough, and it's different, and fun. You really should try it!

I see it, and I promise I'll get to it...eventually!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks creampuff!

There is something slightly magical about melted cheese, isn't there?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker