Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Righting a Wrong

.



Not too long ago, Hostess unveiled Green Lantern Glo Balls...a clear tie-in with the upcoming Green Lantern movie.

Ok; fine. Hal Jordan on the package makes sense in that context.



But when the images of Batman & Superman appeared on boxes of the cupcakes & spongecakes...there was a bit of an uproar.




Once again, the comic book industry ignored their female fans. From a marketing standpoint alone, it's unwise to assume the people buying your products are only a certain gender.



Granted, it'd be a cold day in Hell when I'd buy mass-produced snack cakes, but that's hardly the point. I'm picky about my food in a 'is it good for me? is it made with the best ingredients? is it fresh?' kind of way. But I was a teenager ...well, longer ago than I care to admit.
And I loved these sorts of things. Especially when the cafeteria offerings were less-than appealing.

To remind DC Comics (& comics companies everywhere) that girls & women like heroes too, I made my own 'Glo Balls', along with cream-filled chocolate cupcakes & yellow, canoe-shaped spongecakes.

And I photographed them with the female counterparts of the current advertising campaign.

Supergirl, Green Lantern Katma Tui & Batgirl.

Take note, marketing & sales!

8 Thoughts for food:

At 10:51 PM, Blogger Cakelaw said...

You go girl! I am with you. Love the Glo Balls, especially.

 
At 2:36 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

HI CAKELAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you. There's been much discussion among my comics friends about the way women (& female fans) are treated in the industry & this is one small way I can make my voice heard.

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Gauri Gharpure said...

lovely, Stephanie...

Is Blogging by Mail happening this year. If yes, will you drop me a message if you can..

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Nisrine@Dinners & Dreams said...

Wow, you are so craetive. This is wonderful for Christmas!

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous chris said...

These rock! Love the Twinkies. Just bought the pan. Stoked to use it. :)

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Gauri; I am considering doing BBM again this year. Not for a couple of months yet but I'll be sure to post an announcement if/when that happens.

 
At 3:02 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Chris! I hope you have fun with your pan.

 
At 3:15 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Aw, shucks. Thanks, Nisrine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker