Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Sunday, March 20, 2005

IMBB 13: Cupcakes

.

(Pats self on back) I finally did it; I found out about IMBB before it happened, and came up with my very own, and yummy (if I do say so, myself), creation.

My entry?

Dulce De Leche-Filled Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache Frosting



Yeah, that's a mouthful; literally.

I spent a couple of weeks, racking my brain for a new cupcake idea. I mean, I've already made a Hostess-like cupcake, so what could I make?

Then Friday morning, as I was reading everyone else's entries for the latest Sugar High Friday (missed another one!), I thought...'Hmmm; caramel would be good. What can I do with caramel?'

I remembered Zarah of Food and Thoughts had made Dulce De Leche last month, and how very much I wanted to try it, myself.

So, I gave the caramel idea more thought: what to do with it?

I've got it! I'll fill cupcakes with caramel. Oooh; sounds good...

Anyway, here we go:

Dark Chocolate Cake
(Keep in mind, the original use for this recipe results in a three-layer cake! Feel free to cut recipe in half, or you can do as I did, and make smaller cakes with the left-over batter.)
adapted from a recipe in The Complete Guide to Country Cooking

1 c. butter, softened
3 c. packed brown sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 2/3 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 c. baking cocoa
1 Tbl. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 c. buttermilk
1 1/3 c. boiling water
3 oz. dark chocolate, grated
(I used Chocolove 77% extra strong dark chocolate)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and brown sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Blend in vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Bet on low until just combined. Add grated chocolate to boiling water and stir till smooth. Stir chocolate/water mix into batter until smooth. Pour into cupcake liners, and bake approximately 20 minutes (adjust to your own oven). Cool completely.

Dulce De Leche

Boil can of condensed milk (I used Magnolia, by Borden) in large pot of water for three hours. Be sure to keep can submerged, or you could end up with a caramel-coated kitchen!
Cool by placing can in a bowl and running cold water over it, until can is cool to touch.

Chocolate Ganache

Um...I don't actually have a recipe handy for this one; I had about 3/4 c. of ganache left-over in my fridge, and used that. So, employ ganache recipe of your choice.

When cupcakes are completely cooled: using a serrated knife, cut a quarter-sized circle into top of cupcake; remove. Trim excess cake from 'lid'; reserve. Remove some of the cake, creating a small crater (be careful not to cut through bottom of cupcake.)
Using spoons, fill cupcakes with dulce de leche to just under cupcake top. Replace 'lid'.

Spoon ganache over cupcake tops, just to edge. Allow to set. Pour yourself a big glass of milk, and dig in!

8 Thoughts for food:

At 11:19 PM, Blogger Nic said...

Wow, Stephanie! Nice and early! Your cupcakes look delicious. You're setting a high standard for the rest of us to follow, as I know that I have yet to start on my cupcakes!

 
At 12:46 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Nic.

I'm really proud of these cupcakes, and my husband is thrilled to have them!
Good thing, as he's the one who has to eat them all...

 
At 2:29 AM, Blogger tanvi said...

whoa! this is the epitome of decadence. even then, im pretty sure id be able to polish off two of those! great entry :-)

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

Oh. My. God. OHMYGOD! I can't - I don't - I just... Oh DEAR! Stephanie, they look gorgeous! Mmmmmmm... And I just ate the equivalent of a stick of butter, yet they STILL look tempting!

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, girls!

I think Matt had two or three that first night. My in-law's were so into them, my MIL was picking the crumbs from the cupcake liner!

They're really really good, but also really really sweet. Save up your calories for this one!

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap! Until I read your recipe I never knew what the perfect cupcake would recipe would look like. I love love love it. I may be able to reddem myself at work by making these! Thank you so much for preventing my imminent unemployment for cupcake related faux pas's!!!

 
At 1:56 PM, Blogger Stephanie J. Rosenbaum said...

Damn, Stephanie, these cupcakes look fantastic. I'm a little nervous about boiling the can of milk, though--is the can heavy enough to stay submerged, or do you have to weight it down so it doesn't float and blow up? Thanks!

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Stephanie J. Rosembaum...all you need to do is put the can in the pan; it's that easy!

Yes, it'll stay submerged without help...just keep enough water in the pot (you want several inches above the can), and boil away. I'm still amazed at how simple it is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker