Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Sunday, April 17, 2005

And for a light dessert...

.

Mint Granita!

During the 'clean out the fridge before all the new stuff shows up' jag last week, I realized we had an awful lot of mint kicking around.

So, I looked around the web, and found a recipe at Food and Wine's web site for a mint granita, and decided to give it a try.

Boil 2 cups of water, a cup of chopped, fresh mint, and a half cup of sugar, stirring until sugar dissolved. Once it boils, allow to simmer for three minutes. Add 2 Tbl. fresh lemon juice. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, pushing on the leaves. Cool, and pour into a shallow, metal dish, and put into the freezer. Rake with a fork every thirty minutes, 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until slushy.

Ooh...yum!

After years of knowing mint in the form of mint flavoring, I am so totally loving fresh mint (trust me, no one in my family used fresh mint while I was growing up). The granita had a flavor similar to the Moroccan tea we made a couple of weeks ago; it wasn't strong, but (as Matt put it) it echoed...my whole mouth was minty. I could taste it, feel it, long after the ice had melted.

Another easy, but lovely, recipe.

6 Thoughts for food:

At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, is this similar to sorbet? Sounds really refreshing. Perfect for the hot and humid weather we've been having here lately. :)

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

A granita is similar to a sorbet in it's base; both use a syrup rather than a cream or custard, like ice cream. But, as Matt put it, it's method of churning is considerably more primative!

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Cate said...

Oh yum. That sounds so refreshing -- perfect for warm summer days. I'm on a hunt for an ice cream maker so I can make a chocolate sorbet, but in the meantime, I'm going to pick up some mint and make this one first. Thanks for the recipe!

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

It really was lovely.

I think our ice cream maker is from Krups; it does a fairly decent job, but I'm beginning to think it's dying. The last couple of times I used it, the custard didn't freeze. sigh...

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. I just wanted to give a quick greeting and tell you I enjoyed reading your material.

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Ernie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker