Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Morocco is calling...

.

Now that we have our tagine, we're making plans for more Moroccan dishes.

One of the things we noticed was how many recipes call for preserved lemons. Ha, ha...that's a good one. Odds are, most people in the States won't have a jar of preserved lemons sitting in their pantry. We certainly didn't.

Until now.



Using a recipe found in the Paula Wolfert cookbook, Couscous and other Good Food from Morocco, I just went ahead and did it the other night.
Lemons, quartered almost the whole way (leaving about a 1/2 inch intact), salted, and put into a salted mason jar. Squish lemons in (that part's fun). Add spices, if you wish...I did: coriander, peppercorns, cloves and a cinnamon stick (it also called for bay leaves, but we'd recently run out and shopping day was still ahead). If the juices don't cover the lemons, squeeze fresh lemon juice (never store-bought) over lemons, and seal. Shake once daily for thirty days. They'll keep for a year.

So, now, I wait. And shake!

6 Thoughts for food:

At 9:28 PM, Blogger Cate said...

Can you post the complete recipe for the preserved lemons? My husband came home with a big bag of lemons today, and I'd like to use some for preserving. Thanks much!

 
At 12:59 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Renee; I've sent what little info I have.

Sweetnicks; I'll email it to you if you give me your address!

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Cate said...

Sure thing. You can send it to sweetnickplace@aol.com. Thanks much!

 
At 12:38 PM, Blogger Cate said...

Sorry - should be sweetnickSplace@aol.com. :)

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

And the recipe is on it's way!

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel a little bit like I'm butting in (sorry!), but I wrote up a fairly elaborate illustrated account of this recipe at my website a while ago, if people are interested. I did use bottled lemon juice to top mine up, because I am a bad person. I don't think I'd do it again, but I will confess that the lemons turned out very well despite my lowly shortcut.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker