Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

C is for...really big cookies!

.

I have a chocolate chip cookie recipe that, in my opinion, is perfection. It's adapted from the recipe in In the Sweet Kitchen (a gift from BIL Andrew). A few tweaks to the original, and I have a cookie that makes my hubby go weak in the knees.

I never eat them, but I love to give them to other people (share the calories, and all). I decided to...make a quadruple batch!

Yep, I made four times the normal recipe...about 64 ounces of chocolate chips, 14 cups of flour, eight sticks of butter. I discovered, too late, that my K-5 couldn't handle the job. Talk about manual labor!
Because I was left with so much batter, and because I didn't want to spend the entire day swapping sheets of cookies in and out of the oven, I used my enormous ice cream scoop to form them.



That's an average size cooling rack; and that's six, really, really, big cookies! Each one is a bit bigger than the palm of my hand...ok, I have small hands, but they're still pretty darn big!



I was left with almost three dozen after filling that jar.



Just to give you an idea of how big everything is: the jar holds about two gallons. Alex is just a bit over three feet tall.

I told you they were big!

And no, we didn't eat them all. I shipped 45 of them out to friends and family today.
Nothing says "I care" like 50 billion calories, delivered to your door by your friendly, local, letter carrier!

8 Thoughts for food:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger Cate said...

Sounds like you and I are cut from the same cloth! I made Chocolate Crinkles yesterday to ship out, as well as taking them into my son's school. My office said no goodies could be brought in during the month of April (watching their waistlines!), so I've started mailing them. Care to share your final-tweaked version of the recipe? I love the cookie jar! I have a smaller one, but need to get something bigger.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I have two younger sisters...one still in college, as well as a cousin in college. Plus, a couple of friends who could use the cheering up. Even a regular batch of these cookies makes too many (in my opinion). Have to get rid of them!
Eh...I really hate to give specifics; but let's say I add extra flour and vanilla to the recipe.
We found that jar at Target; they sold several sizes, but I wanted the big one!

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Trust me, Nicole...they are good! Which is why I stay as far away from them as possible. They're kind of like Lay's potato chips (can't eat just one), and considerably more dangerous!

 
At 7:54 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Dexygus! It's almost a pity I don't have a job like yours...I'd get that urge to bake out of my system. Then again, I'd never be able to stand the hours!

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those cookies are HUGE, but they look really scrumptious! Cookie Monster would have a field day, that is, if Alex would share that giant jar. :)

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Alex wouldn't have much of a choice...so far, he's had exactly ONE cookie. And that caused so much hyper behavior, it's probably the last one he'll have for a long time...

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Cerebrum said...

Wow, that's a lot of cookies Stephanie! I love the picture of the jar and Alex - and the jar - that's like HUGE man!

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I started to count them, but lost track...but yes, it did make a lot. I sent 45 away, gave four to my in-laws, and Matt took a bunch to work (apparently, co-workers would ask 'what, no cookies?' when he'd come to a meeting). Matt ate many. And now? All gone!

The poor, big jar looks so lonely at the moment; I'm contemplating a gigantic batch of gingersnaps next!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker