Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

It's beginning to feel a lot like...summer!

.

Again, a recipe from the most recent issue of Vegetarian Times.

During the last year, I was considering cancelling my VT subscription. I wasn't that crazy about the recipes I was seeing, and some of the magazine's features really didn't interest me.

Then, a few months ago, VT had an extreme makeover. Ok, maybe not extreme, but they certainly mixed things up. The magazine is now bigger, thicker (and no, unlike Gourmet or Bon Appetit, it's not due to ads), and with (in my opinion) better content.

Even more important, to me; I found myself thinking 'Oooh; that looks good' when I saw the recipes.

Last night, we had the second of three Vegetarian Times recipes I've written onto our menu: Southwestern Salad.

Aside from being very tasty, light and (yes, I have to say it) refreshing, it was first and foremost easy. And I do mean easy; you could have this salad ready and on the table in ten minutes.

In a large bowl, add corn (the recipe calls for frozen, which we forgot to pick up, so I substituted canned), pinto beans, hardboiled eggs, avocado, grape tomatoes, red bell pepper, jalapeno (optional, but Matt likes heat so we added it), and lime tortilla chips, crushed. In another bowl, mix together olive oil, chili powder, lime juice and salt and pepper. Pour over other ingredients, and mix.



Wow. This salad is great. Basically good for you, simply prepared, and quite filling. I think it would be perfect for picnics and cook-outs.

This one's a keeper.

0 Thoughts for food:

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker