Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Going Greek

.

Another simple, healthy and tasty meal from the April Vegetarian Times; Greek Pita Sandwiches and Chickpea and Orzo Soup.



I love recipes like this: easy to prepare, with lots of flavor, and good for you, too!

Cucumbers, red bell peppers, red onion, feta, olives, lettuce, and a dressing with olive oil and red wine vinegar (a couple spices, too...just can't remember them), all stuffed into a pita half. It also called for zucchini, but, ah...we didn't have any. We didn't have any because...we just don't like zucchini in this house! I really don't think the sandwich suffered much for it's absence, though.



A really, really simple soup to make. Cook onions in oil, add some spices and crushed, no-salt, plum tomatoes and chickpeas. Cook. Add veggie broth. Puree. Add orzo, and cook another ten minutes. That's it!

I thought it started well, but in the end...the soup was a little bland. I kept thinking...and how ironic, as the recipe came from a vegetarian magazine...that what it really needed was some sort of salty, pork product! Even a few Baco's, which are made from soy, might have made the difference.

I loved the texture of the soup, and thought pureeing the chickpeas and making them part of the broth was brilliant; I may want to use this as a base for something else down the road. As is, it really needs a little...something. But, it was filling, it required very little effort, so I'm not unhappy with it.

0 Thoughts for food:

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker