Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Saturday, April 16, 2005

Maybe not 30 minutes, but close!

.

Due to some issues Thursday, we postponed our weekly grocery shopping trip and went out Friday.

Friday was also the day Alex decided he did not, in fact, need to sleep during nap time.

We didn't get started until around six, and had three stores to get to. Alex was cranky (by his standards) almost from the beginning. I knew it was going to be a long night.

Kroger, Earth Fare and Super Target runs finished, we came home with the intent of feeding Alex and getting him to bed as soon as possible. Even that took some effort...the poor little guy was just so tired, all he could do was be contrary.

By this time, Matt and I are were both tired and starving, and I was most certainly on my last nerve. Finally, Matt got Alex off to bed, and I worked on dinner.

Thank goodness for Rachel Ray and her 30 Minute Meals!

Quickly prepared, and just what we needed;
Hazelnut Crusted Chicken with Gorgonzola Sauce
.

Chicken (and Veat, of course), coated in a flour, poultry seasoning and garlic powder mixture, then dipped in egg and pushed into chopped hazelnuts; fried in a skillet with olive oil for two minutes each side, and finished in the oven.
Top with a sauce of Gorgonzola, milk and sage.



Reheated potatoes from our Lamb Wellingtons, and a salad of arugula, avocado and hazelnuts, and we have dinner!



Tasty...nice crunchy (the way nuts are crunchy, not bread or other coatings) hazelnut layer, good flavor from the floured seasoning. The sauce was nice, but ours was a bit runny: it calls for whole milk, we use skim. I think it made a difference.

But, it was a good dish. It came together fast, and was full of flavor and filling. Another keeper.

4 Thoughts for food:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger Cate said...

I can certainly relate to the cranky-toddler thing. Nap time is good! The chicken sounds yummy, and I actually have a jar of macadamia nuts waiting for their next use. Made a Rachael Ray recipe tonight too -- Oven Fries. As she would say, "Yum-o!"

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I was just telling Matt that there's one nut we never use, never have in store...macadamias!

The chicken was good. I recommend using the whole milk, unless you're like us and just don't have any around. It reheats well, too...I had some for lunch today.

 
At 2:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No offence (and I am sure you've got this before), but chicken is animal and chicken-eating people are NOT vegetarian.

Kudos for cutting back on animal products but vegetarians do not eat creatures like birds and fish

Regards

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I have no idea who you are (signing in as 'anonymous' is a bit cowardly, if you're going to leave a comment like this), but if you'd read on, you'd learn that I always use Veat, a vegetarian chicken substitute. I have not eaten meat (chicken, pork, fish, beef) of any kind in close to ten years. The 'chicken' in the picture is, in fact, a Veat 'chicken breast'.

I really don't need a complete stranger coming here telling me how to live my life...if anyone knows about the vegetarian lifestyle, it's me.

Next time? Get your facts straight before you tell someone off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker