Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Just buy the book, already!

.

Here's another wonderfully simple, and fast, recipe from Giada De Laurentis.

Penne with Sun-dried Tomato Pesto



Wow. Talk about an easy meal!

I even waited until Matt was home to start cooking, and we still found ourselves sitting at the table, eating, much earlier than normal.

Sun-dried tomatoes (oil-packed), basil, garlic, salt and pepper, in a food processor until a paste. Put in a bowl, add grated Parmesan. Cook pasta (Giada recommends penne, but we didn't have a full box...I used both mini penne and those fluted elbows). Dump pasta in bowl, adding some of the cooking water. Enjoy!

We rounded out the meal with a light salad of arugula, diced carrots and avocado, and a chunk of Italian bread I'd defrosted the day before.

The pesto was really good: you really got the sweetness of the tomatoes, which was balanced by the saltiness of both the oil and the cheese, and freshness of the basil...as well as the garlic. And we were forced to use less basil, as our plants aren't big enough yet, and the store-bought herbs were starting to go.

Seriously; this is one of the fastest meals I've ever made (even boxed mac and cheese takes longer!). Great for busy cooks.

And since this is something like the sixth or seventh recipe of Giada's I've made, I really should just go ahead and order her new cookbook!

6 Thoughts for food:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Cate said...

Yeah, I'd agree - buy the book already. I have it -- only made two things so far (Clams Oreganata and Potato Prosciutto Fritatta) and both were yummy and simple. My kinda recipes.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Well, it's on my amazon wish list...along with a few hundred other things! I keep hoping it'll show up on Mother's day.

Then again, subtle hints so rarely work.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Cate said...

I hear ya. What I do is order the book and when it comes in, I give it to The Husband and just say, "Here's one of your gifts to me." Not subtle but works for me (and him!).

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Oh, that's rich!

Matt's actually very good at giving me the things I like (only once have I gotten a gift that made me say 'huh?', and even it wasn't a bad gift). I think I may give him too many possibilities; my amazon list is Huge!

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger Niki said...

Giada's show has recently started screening on our food channel here. The first episode I saw I was ready to flick to another channel - I mean, really, how could a woman that skinny and beautiful really be passionate about food and a good cook?? My tastes lean more toward Lidia from Lidia's Table (if that's what it's called. You know - the middle aged, motherly, slightly-overweight Italian). But in that first episode I picked up at least 4 tips I didn't know and still use (wrapping fresh herbs in a damp teatowel and storing them in the fridge for easy access and longer freshness - what a revelation! I even freeze them that way now.), so I'd be keen for a cookbook of hers - once it is 'translated' into metric measurements of course (I just can't cook by volume and cup measures - it's so innacurate for me!).

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I read a review of her book, and that same point came up...she looks more like a model (and does she always have to wear those low-cut tops??) than a chef. At least Nigella has that sexy, real-woman thing going for her (actual curves, as opposed to razor-sharp clavicles).

But the more I watch the show (I watch it while Alex is down for his nap), the more good recipes I get. Even if I don't eat the dish, it's good for Matt or company.
My whole Easter dinner came from one of Giada's shows, as a matter of a fact!

Ack...I'm terrible with metric. I was always so happy it didn't actually catch on here in the states!.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker