Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, April 25, 2005

Eggs and Toast for Dessert?

.

Staying true to form, I'm submitting my post for EoMEoTE a bit early...

So far, I've made appetizers and sandwiches; time for something different.

I give you Sweet Eggs on Chocolate Toast!



Eggs, sweetened with sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. Cooked in a crepe pan, and cut into shapes.

Chocolate bread, with chocolate chips, toasted and cut into pieces, topped with a dollop of whipping cream. Eggs placed on top, and dusted with cocoa powder and powdered sugar.



This is what Matt had to say about them:

Both the spiced eggs and the chocolate bread are strongly flavored and
neither is more than mildly sweet, with a strong cinnamon tone in the eggs
and a relatively dark chocolate in the bread. The flavors go together
quite well, and they're nicely balanced by the richness of the whipped
cream. The cream also adds a necessary balancing moistness to the firm
eggs and dense bread.




And in part because Niki brought it up, and also because I had a ton of chocolate bread to run through; Chocolate French Toast!

8 Thoughts for food:

At 3:51 PM, Blogger Cate said...

Hey there ... I was wondering when you were going to get your post up today. ;) I gave you a shout-out on mine today. With re: to your BBQing, I have a great recipe for homemade BBQ sauce, if you want it.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I had to wait for Matt to give me (in writing) his opinion on the eggs and toast!

I'd love your BBQ recipe; I'm always willing to try something new...thanks!

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

I liked it...in pieces. What I mean is, I liked the individual components, but I would prefer not to eat it together. Then again, I don't actually like strawberry shortcake, either.

It's a texture-thing with me. I don't want ice cream with my cake, I don't want cream on my toast.

The chocolate bread is nice...very dark flavor. The eggs are fantastic! Of course, a good cream is just...heavenly. Put the three in seperate bowls and plates, and I'd love it. But not piled on top of each other.

That's just me, though...

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Niki said...

That's a really clever twist on the eggs and toast idea! I keep wondering why nobody has yet made French toast - toast *coated* in eggs! (or maybe they have and I've missed it??)

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thanks, Niki!

I've only been aware of EoMEoTE for a couple months now, but so far I don't think I've seen french toast. You'd think that would be obvious, wouldn't you? Maybe someone did it early in the event, and every one else is afraid to replicate it?

Then again, I could actually have no idea what I'm talking about...!

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Anthony said...

Bold eggy envelope pushing, great job.

I actually did French Toast back in the early days of End-of-Month-Egg-on-Toast-Extravaganza #3. It led to a ludicrous comments thread and a doctrinal controversy over the proposition "on". I think people have kept well away from it since. But you're back on the horse and that's a good thing.

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you, o founder!

I honestly didn't know if anyone had done french toast...and Niki got me thinking about it.

I had a loaf+ of the bread left, and a hungry toddler to feed. Inspiration hit.

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger santos. said...

hi stephanie! the sweet eggs remind me of a japanese omelette, tamagoyaki, which is also sweet, but savoury. it's very tender, though, with the addition of stock and the way it is prepared, as a sort of rolled omelette or crepe. i like the way this sounds as it is, but if you are having an egg/cream/bread texture problem, it might be interesting to try cooking the sweet eggs a la tamagoyaki, with the cream beaten into the egg, or rolled into it like a swiss roll.

chocolate french toast! genius, i say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker