Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, April 18, 2005

14, not including Vietnam. They never declared it.

.

Once again...points if you can place that quote!

Something new for me; Vietnamese food. Matt's a big fan of Southeast Asian cuisine, but I'm still a novice (and a bit reluctant).

So, I decided to put together a whole meal, and see how it went.



I started with a spring roll recipe from the latest Vegetarian Times; mint leaves, sugar snap peas, scallions, carrots strips and a bean thread mix (lime juice, toasted sesame seeds and salt and white pepper), wrapped in rice paper. Served with a dipping sauce of rice wine vinegar and soy sauce.



I need to work on my technique (I kept over-stuffing the rolls), but they sure are pretty, aren't they?

And there was a soup from the Food and Wine site, Market Noodle Soup.



Chicken, cooked in broth, served with bean thread, and topped with a variety of things: scallions, shredded cabbage, mung bean sprouts, peanuts, and a few other things.

We fried some wontons for a garnish, as well.




Let's see...the spring rolls were nice. What an interesting flavor combo! The burst of mint, the bite of the scallions. I didn't even mind the noodles (they were only partially cooked). I'm not going to say I've become a fan, but I would eat something like this again.

The soup? Eh; it's the noodle curse again. I just can not eat soggy noodles. Matt told me he figured I'd either love the bean thread, or absolutely hate them because of the rubberiness (is that world??). Well, I hated them because of the rubber. They reminded me of that stuff holding lotion and perfume samples to magazine pages!

I fished out my Veat pieces, and gave the noodles to the dogs. Donegal was the only one interested, though.

4 Thoughts for food:

At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...it looks like the noodles had too little liquid, or were left to soak for too long, Steph. For glass noodles, they work well in either lots of soup, or fried in a dry version. Don't forget that these noodles absorb lots of liquid, so it's best to eat them immediately after cooking, or else they end up kind of gluggy.

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Matt's definitely had too little broth. I don't think I would have liked them, no matter what was done to them. Although...the idea of frying them intrigues me; tell me more!

 
At 4:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one ever called your Angel quote...

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

And bless you for catching it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker